Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What a Waste!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2000, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you all had a better Easter weekend than I did. My riding plans were shot at about 10 a.m. sat. morning. A buddy of mine works for a tow company, and called me to ask if I would assist with a semi rollover. I said sure, as they didn't figure it would take too long, thought maybe I'd be able to ride that evening, and sunday. Well, I was WAY wrong.

We arrived at the scene, approx. 50 miles outside of town, found a brand new Pete, with a 48' trailer w/refer on it's side, top side facing down a steep embankment. I guess the guy fell asleep, forgot to turn with the highway, or something, ended up driving about 1/4 mile through a wheat field before turning it upside down. Well, we popped open the doors, found some beef. A whole bunch of beef. 196 raw quarters to be exact, in a trailer that was now setting about 60 degrees F, and rising. Blood dripping everywhere, and the fat starting to melt. Real slick, and real sick.

Well, trailer had to be unloaded before we could move the rig, so we called in another truck to throw the quarters into. This was the fun part. Had to drag 196 quarters of beef out of the rolled trailer, only first, we had to get them all off the hooks, and off the ceiling, which was now the floor because it was upside down. Then, drag the beef out of the trailer, down the dirt hillside, through the gravel ditch, up the loading ramp into the other trailer, and stack it about 1 1/2 foot from the roof, or basically even with the refer blower. Doesn't seem to bad, except that these were no normal steers when butchered, unless they were some darn buffalo or something. The smallest quarter was weighing in around 250 lbs. Unfortunately, we only had a handfull of "small" ones, the rest were better than 300+ lbs. Made for a real pain in the butt... and back... shoulders... neck... arms... hands... legs... well, pretty much everywhere! After 10 strait hours of lifting, dragging and stacking, I was so sore, couldn't even ride today at all! Somehow, I'm starting to think it wasn't worth the $25/hr after all!

Not exactly sure what they plan on doing with it now, since the wreck happened at 7:00 a.m. that morning, and we didn't get it unloaded until 10:00 that night, in 65 degree weather, especially being covered in dirt, gravel, blood, tons of fat, etc. All I can say is, if McDonalds comes out with a double quarter pounder, or two for one deal anytime soon, you can bet I'll pass on that one! Heh Heh Heh.

Anyway, hope you all had a MUCH better weekend then I did, and if so, I'd like to hear about it. Happy Easter to y'all!!!

Mike

Old 04-24-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,
I was bummed about not being able to ride but that was because the quads were in the shop for their 20 hour maintenance.

Look forward to next weekend! Have you ever ridden the Moses lake area?

Old 04-25-2000, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider

Snowshark:
Yes, and No. I haven't ridden at Moses Lake with the 'Cat's yet. However, I did drive my truck out there a few years ago. If I remember right, I think it was called Beverly Dunes, or something like that. Guess I should pay more attention to it, I head through that area on the way up to my property, outside of Omak.

Mike