Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Fan over ride switch SOOON .Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan over ride switch SOOON .Help Me!!!

Tapping into the sensor switch is just alot easier and you know it is fused right.

Glad to hear it worked for ya CatKrazy! Now if the fround diff was as easy, You would have it made!!

Old 04-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ive got that part figured out!!!

I did not do it right. I am to blame!!! but I can blame some of it on the spiders not being as strong as they should be

Old 04-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Can't see why you would have to run live wire back to the battery, if you break into the fan motor live wire all you would do is not provide power when switch is off, & when switch is on the fan would cycle as normal. The fan motor is just under the front fenders just ahread of the handlebars so would be a short run of wire, & the fan doesn't require a lot of power anyway.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

If I understand what you are thinking sxr6, tapping into the power wire to the fan will just give you the ability to shut the fan off when the sensor is tripped. The power comes from the sensor to the fan. If you tap in after the sensor you will not be able to turn the fan on when you want because the sensor stops the power until the cat gets heated up and activates the sensor switch allowing power to go to the fan.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

The only reason for the switch is to turn off fan when entering a water crossing so as not to blow out fuse or is there another reason I'm not seeing???

Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

I can't answer for the mudders....The reason I have the bypass switch is when I ride on a hot day and climbing hills or doing a little rock crawling, my cat will get hot and the fan will start cycling on and off. So rather than waiting for the sensor to kick in I just flip my switch and let it run until I am moving a little faster and air helps cool it.

I have went into water when the fan is on and the water cools it pretty fast so the fan doesn't run very long in water. So that's my side of the story.....Let's see what the mudders have to say.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Bump :]

Thanks to all on this thread. Heres mine. Fan OR Switch

Old 05-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Frankly, if you're going to do this modification, the way cat500i, explains it is the best way. You don't want to have the ability to turn the fan off for one major reason: the engine is subject to run hot and fail.
On the other hand, if cat500i, installed this switch for the reason he described, he may have over looked a problem already in progress. The fan will cycle on/off at low speeds more often than when riding moderately, even on warmer days. But it doesn't happen often that you hear the fan click on & off. Even if it seems to be warmer than normal, the fan tends to keep running for a long time. Try turning off the start switch and leave the key on. The fan will run for another 5-10 minutes. That's because the sensor isn't getting the cooling. If you guys take a little time to remove the front end of your quad (winch & plate as an assembly) then remove the radiator & fan assembly, you can disassemble the fan from the radiator and raise the radiator until you can see through the fins. You should look for any blockage, usually at the bottom of the radiator. Use a garden hose and spray until you can finally see light though the fins and reinstall everything. Now, that switch you installed, you don't need it anymore. I ride about 1100 miles a year and I've only had to clean my radiator on my 2002, 500i, once like this. The rest of the time, I clean it as you do. With the garden hose or power washer and she runs fine. And I am a mudder. Great thread guys...
Chuck

Old 05-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

It is not ness to remove the rad from the machine to clean it. Mine get full of crap all the time. If i have to , i take the front bumper off. After all its only 4 bolts. But of course you can do it anyway you like.

Old 05-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

That's great--for you vewdew. As I said, I don't think anyone should have to clean the way I described more than once a year. It's still a good idea to remove the radiator for inspection but you do what you'd like. It was only a suggestion.
Chuck

Quick Reply: Fan over ride switch SOOON .Help Me!!!