Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

the physics of a mud grip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003 | 01:07 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default the physics of a mud grip?

I guess it holds true with the physics of women, but:
Tall and narrow or stocky and wide....that is the question

really here are the variables rattling my marble loose

we always ran narrow truck tires to get down and dig for the roots in bottomland situations, but what about a 400i? the idea of 13 inches of groundclearance seems plenty, but like many are saying about the mudlites, they don't rob power like laws. I am figuring by running a smaller tire to keep hp will only cost .5 inches g.c., but give me wheel speed to sling mud and not break any cvs. any thoughts about agricultural type tires?

is it realistic to think that one can run a wide tire for flotation like the old three wheelers, because floating across 4-5 feet of creek would be nice in warm weather. But, it seems the weight would rob hp and stress cv. howmuch is ground pressure a variable=150#/tire

wench, I mean winch questions:
where is the best place to install the solenoid , battery compartment is tight.
where should I leave 3.0ci winch mounted for longevity. Stock location seems like it will be sloshing through the mud/water constantly

thanks,

ps if I spent this much time watching the stock market, i probably could hunt all year!

Old 05-01-2003 | 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

OK now we are getting deep!

The wide tires in my opinion keep you on top of the mud. The narrow seem to dig you down till you hit bottom and now your hung and with no manuverabilty left.

I ran 38- 9 or 10s on my toyota! They were narrow to help find the bottom hard stuf to grip and go,but there was room for me to dig down. ATVs are different.The power is different.

As far as whhel spin and grip, there is no better combination if you can find such a tire.

Others wil not agree with me for the simple fact that most humans are partcial. I own a set of Mudzillas! They are a awsome tire! But I found the tire I have been looking for! The MUDLITES!

But let me give you a senerio:

2 weeks ago at the mississippi river bottoms me and a group of about twenty bikes were out playing. All of these holes we play in were made by HuGE gigantic trucks!, SO most are very deep, and have no bottom. Well all of our bikes would pretty much make it through the soupy and most of the time grease like mud. The problem was getting out of the inclined bank part of it. If you add the factors that A: the mud is thick and creates a vaccum in your wheels and B:You have these huge heavy tires tires with 1 1/2 inch luggs! C: all the mud you have collected on your bike throughout the ride. You will find your self not having enough power and momentum to turn your tires fast enough to pull you out of the situation. Yes from time to time a different hole would be named after the bike that made it out. I Have done some wicked things with my Cat and The Zillas!. It was nice seeing strangers on the trail and them saying WOW what a tire. I bet you never get stuck!!!! Its the American Way Folks. Everybody does it. I use to see bikes on the trail take one look at their tire and say "they cant hang! They got a little ole titan.or whatever!
Well i swallowed my pride bough some ITP Mudlites. I sacrificed Looks for performance! because Im telling you, All the situations i mentioned became obsolete! They didnt happen again! I was able to things that others could not do. It was amazing to see how well my bike performed in the same holes we were in 2 weeks ago. to see others struggle and struggle to get out and to see so much abuse to their bikes and then mine easing on through it, hit 2ND gear and have enough wheel spin,grip and momentum to pull me through and up the other side. My confidence level is up 100% folks.

The only thing i lost by changing to the MUDLITES is LOOKS!!! They dont look as good as my zillas do.
Since I have had my Cat 500 I never made it all the way through and up and out of the holes more times than I have this past saturday! The tires made all the difference in the world! I know mud changes! and every hole is different, I use to think the reasons i couldnt make it out of the other side was due to all the other bikes before me chewing it all up and rutting up so bad you couldnt make it. Well it was true. I didnt have enough momentum to clear the big dug out rutts going up the inclined bank.
Folks Im telling you i made it through things a whole lot easier than the guys with Vamps, outlaws and such! It really was amazing

Old 05-01-2003 | 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

ALso I must add that you will find your bike performing better on some holes and not so good in others. I think different bikes have their spots. I have seen this several times where one bike will do better and the next hole the bike that did good would be smoked!

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Cat Krazy, bring thos mudlites to marengo, and see what real mud is. I run 28x12.5 Outlaws on my sp400, and EDL's on my 650. It is a personal preference, in most holes I prefer the EDL's, but sometimes the outlaws are better.

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

You can bet your A$$ i will be at merango!!!hehe,but know what i mean when i tell you I told you so!!!

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Haha, we will see. Don't worry, I will have my video camera ready.

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

I will bring my zillas Also To show you the difference!!

dude Im telling you. When my tires came in "mudlites" I laughed and said to myself i will be the laughing stock of the trail. man I killed em in the holes! I just knoew i was going to get stuck evey time i turn around. It didnt happen i was amazed!!!.

What was really funny i watching me go through a hole that one of the grizz riders with bike cleats couldnt get out of, and then turning around and hearing him say "OH HELL NO" if he made it so can I. Then watching him back way up get a good running start and still couldnt claw his way put of the steep inbankment!! hehe I loved it!!! I will show you soon enough!

What do you ride anyway???

Old 05-01-2003 | 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

'02 650 prairie, and a '95 sp400.

Old 05-01-2003 | 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

have you had any experiance with itp 589m/s there lighter than outlaws and got good reveiws

Old 05-01-2003 | 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes A fellow Fireman Has some of the M/Ts. They are a good tire also.

Dont get me wrong!! The outlaws! The Vamps! The Edls! The zillas! ALl are a great pulling tire. SOme of the Best Made,But.... They rob So much Power and your bike ability to perform. Im sure I will get into a situation where my zillas would have pulled me out! BUT..... In one days ridding I was in more situation were they would not have pulled me out, and the lighther tires did!

So you gotta weigh out your options!

Quick Reply: the physics of a mud grip?