ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200X / 350X Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the message on the 250sx mods. I don't have pics yet, but wanted to let you all know that I have a 1986 200X that has a 350X front end (forks through tire) and rear end including the shock (axle, brakes, swing arm, etc.). Works really well, sort of acts like a "lift kit" for the 200X. There is only one small drawback and that is that the 350X shock is a tad longer which raises the drive gear on the engine relative to the gear on the axle. What happens is that the chain slider tends to wear a little quicker, but I can live with that. Using a larger drive sprocket would probably help alleviate the problem, but I like the gearing the way it is right now. The only other problem is trying to remember which parts on the bike are from what models and what years, especially if you have to order parts! It reminds me of that song Johnny Cash wrote about the automobile he put together by carrying out a part a day from the auto plant where he worked over the years! I will try to get some pics.

Chris

Old 05-17-2000, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,I have an '84 200X with a ton of mods.I was just wondering if u had to make any modifications to make it fit??Also,where did u get the parts,new,used??And,do u like??

Old 05-18-2000, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got the parts along with a complete 1986 200x bike and a 1984 200x parts bike. It's really not that difficult. In fact, on the front, if you can find the front forks and brake assembly from a 350x, that's all you need on the front. The hub and wheel from the 200x will fit the 350x forks. You don't need to buy the triple clamps from a 350x; the 200x triple clamps will work. On the rear, you need the complete 350x rear end, shock, swing arm, axle, brakes, etc. Basically, it's like unbolting the 350x rear end at the top shock bolt, the swing arm bolt, and the rear brake line and then bolting it onto the 200x frame. Keep in mind that the 350x rear will have a 40 tooth rear sprocket, so that will slow you down just a tad unless you replace it with the 38 tooth sprocket off of the 200x. If I were you, I would keep the 40T and maybe bump the front up to 14T. You may need to add a couple of links to the chain. Don't forget, like I mentioned before, this will raise the rear of the bike and make the chain ride closer to the top of the swing arm pivot and chain slider. The chain slider will probably wear a tad quicker with this setup. Other than that, I can't think of any other snags you would run into.

Do I like it? Yes! Like I said, it gives the bike a "lift kit" effect. Also, I think the 350x front brakes are better; I think the 350x shock has a better response; and the 350x axle is bigger and more sturdy than the stock 200x axle.

To those who do not understand why someone would do these mods to otherwise great bikes I say this: I agree they are great bikes as stock, but if I can make modifications that:

1. In my perception, enhance the look of the bike.

2. Change the bikes characteristics to better fit my riding style.

3. Simply give me enjoyment through the challenge of making the modifications.

...then that is the point of why a person would do this. I'm not worried about my bike's collector value. I'm only concerned about the bikes worthfulness to me.

Old 05-19-2000, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

sounds like a fun ride. Nice job

Old 05-21-2000, 02:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

isnt the 350X swingarm wider than the 200X frame if not im puting a lift kit on my 200X

200X

Old 05-22-2000, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see that you have a 84 200x with lots of mods. If you did the work your self maybe you could give me some advice. I have an 84 200x myself and need to install a new clutch and repair the kick starter. The service manual states that a special tool is required from Honda to remove certain parts such as the clutch plates and oil pump. Is this tool really needed. My Honda dealer says the tool is no longer available and everyone has washed their hands of the repair so it's up to me and I've never done this before.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old 05-22-2000, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see that you have a '84 200x with lots of mods. If you did the work yourself maybe you could give me some advice.

I have an '84 200x myself and need to install a new clutch and repair the kick starter. The service manual states that a special tool is required from Honda to remove certain parts such as the clutch plates and oil pump.

Is this tool really needed? My Honda dealer says the tool is no longer available and everyone has washed their hands of the repair so it's up to me and I've never done this before.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mawr

Old 05-22-2000, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, mine is a 1986. The 1983-85 200x oil rotor and clutch nuts are special nuts. They require a special "spanner" type wrench to remove the nuts. They are recessed, so there it's pretty difficult if not impossible to remove them without a special tool. In 1986 Honda "wised-up" and used a more "user-friendly" design by using regular hex nuts. I guess it's possible that the tool is not made anymore, but if I were you I would call Honda of Riverside at 1-800-955-2925. Ask for either Dave or Rob. They do a pretty good job of finding Honda stuff and their prices have always been about 30-40% lower than my local dealer. If they cannot help, hmmm, I'm not sure. I suppose that someone with the right tools (machine shop) could make you a wrench to fit those spanner nuts. Let me know what you find out, because this fall I'm going to rebuild a 1984 200x motor for a friend and I don't have the tool either, so I'm gonna be in the same boat!

As far as parts go, if you want to save a little money by buying used parts like the kickstart shaft, etc. try calling R&R cycle. They are on the net at www.rrcycle.com. They have a ton of Honda parts.

Old 05-23-2000, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply and I have good news.

After contacting a local cycle shop I found that the tool needed to change the clutch in the '84 200x is available from "Dennis Stubblefield Sales Inc., Capistrano Beach, California" also known as "DS Sales".

The package states that it fits all 4 stroke single and twin cylinder models 90cc thru 500cc Hondas.

The dealer had it in stock and I paid 11.00 and change for it.

Thought you might to want to know.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 200X / 350X Hybrid

i bought a rolling chassis of a 1985 350x and have been taking parts off and putting it on a 1985 200x and if you plan on doin this to your 1985 200x i recommend it give the 200x look way more aggresive and the 85 model will need the tripple tree clamp just figured i would throw that i n

Quick Reply: 200X / 350X Hybrid