ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Miscellaneous 86 Big red Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miscellaneous 86 Big red Info needed

I'll list what I need to know-

1. What type of oil should I use?
2. How often should I change it?
3. What are the reccommended front and rear tire pressures
4. How often should the oil filter be changed?
5. What is the oil capacity of the 250?
6. what is the oil change procedure?

If there are any maintenence things I missed, Please let me know

thanks, Mike

Old 10-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miscellaneous 86 Big red Info needed

I live in manitoba, and in winter I use 10-40 synthetic oil, because those big reds have very poor oil circulation and you want it to go thue your motor fast. Don't use 5-30, it's too thin and could ruin your motor (so I hear) In summer, use 20-50 motorcycle oil, especially in the mud when it's revved up real high. You could use regular 10-40 in spring and fall, even summer if not ran too hot (3+hours)

How often to change it? Depends on how much and where you ride. After lots of water running, change it cause water may get in the oil. Oil is cheap so do it often, it will last you a long time. Make sure to keep the oil level up. In winter, you might burn a bit of oil if using synthetic, but that's no problem, just keep the level up. You can keep the same synthetic oil all winter cause it is very good quality oil.

In the tires, I put about 5-6 pounds, (it sais on your tires)

I change the filter each time I change the oil. An EMGO filter is about 2.50$ canadian, so it's nothing to change.

I think the oil capacity is about 2 litres, but make sure while filling it up.

Oil change procedure is just to take off the drain plug which is on the skid plate (their's a hole in the skid plate to accomadate a rachet) Let all the oil drain (remove the dipstick while draining, it will go faster), then take out the oil filter, which is on the right side of the machine, and take off the plastic piece, then the metal piece and he filter will come right off. Put the drain plug back on, replace the filter (put it on the right way!!!) and add your oil.

In the rear end, you can also change the gear oil. Right in the rear end where the shaft goes to, there's a 17mm bolt, take it off and that's where you fill the gear oil. If it's of the color white, change it right away, it means water got into it. The drain plug is on the left side of the skid plate, it's small, and you'll only drain about a ¼ litre, it doesn't take much. Refill it with 80-90 sae hypocid gear oil until it's level with the hole.

Also clean the air filter. If it's a foam one, completely remove it off the air box and clean it out by dunking it in gasoline. Let it air dry, then drench it with motor oil and wring out excess oil, then put back in air box.

That's about all the maintenace you'll have to do on these Big Reds, I know they are extremelly easy to maintain. Keep up the maintenace and you'll be trouble free. I know some people have the same oils in their Big Reds for 15 years, and their are no problems, seeing this, if we maintain ours, their is no reason for them to blow up, or something like that.

I'm finished here,

JasonJ