ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

aftermarket rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket rear shock?

Hey everyone-

Does anyone know of a vendor who sells a new aftermarket rear mono shock/spring for the 86 ATC 250R? I think it is the same as the trx, so maybe one from the quad would work too- Im a big guy, 6'3" 250 lbs- so needs to hold my big a$$ up- mine is a lot worn and in need of a rechange and revalving for my weight, the adjustment on the reservoir is gone and I have adjusted preload to give me the most travel, but still not getting it done- any ideas?

thanks- bulldog

Old 01-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is the mono shock you have now in good shape? The major thing is the chrome shaft, it can not have any nicks or scratches. If it is in good shape I found a place that can rebuild them and give I think a 6 month warrenty. If you are interested in this PM me and I will try to find there # for you. The are located in CA.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

thrash-

the mono on my bike has a very clean shaft and works well for a lighter rider- i think it needs rechanged pretty bad and revalved for me. I priced an elka rear mono replacement- over 700 bucks- nice shock, but a little out of my price range.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

You mean you adjusted the spring all the way out? It may give you more travel, but unfortunately you are lowering the "pre-tension" on the spring and you will take up all (and then some) of the extra travel by just sitting on it. If I was you, I would crank the spring pre-tension all the way up as a last ditch effort to hold you up.

I may have just read that wrong, so just to clarify you will provide yourself as much "support" as is possible by turning the bottom spring seat so that it compresses the spring. If you are standing at the back of the trike and holding the shock/spring assembly, you would turn it clockwise as if you were "tightening" it.

In fact, I doubt that you would gain any "travel" by lowering the spring pre-tension as you describe. The travel will only go as far as the shock rod will let it go before it bottoms out on the top of the shock tube. I believe that with the pre-tension cranked up to its highest setting there will still be enough compression travel left in the spring to allow the shock to go through its maximum travel.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Big Block-

by "travel" I was referring to not bottoming out when i jump up and down on it. I apologize for the confusion- so tightening the spanner nut will give me a stiffer suspension? it holds me up, just sags pretty bad when jumping or really getting onto the pipe- which is no good. Thanks for the info big block!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

If I were you I'd contact TCS suspension and have them re-valve/spring your shock for your weight/riding style. It usually costs @ $200 or less and they can tailor the shock to you specifically.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

No prob Bulldog! Yes, tightening the spanner on the bottom of the spring will put more pressure on the spring (without you on it) and subsequently hold you up better. Although jayce is right if you want to do it the proper way. I have been applying the "run it 'til she breaks" theory to the R as it holds up very well and I have too much other stuff to fix (2 sleds, boat, etc.)

Strange how the R is my fav to ride, yet gets the least done to it.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with run it till it breaks is that.....it's a Honda! Breaking it takes forever. LOL I hear ya man, there always seems to be other things to get done before the favorite get's touched. I finally got around to doing major work to my 400ex after 5 years and then I could focus on getting a new trailer! The only thing I haven't done is get into the motor, while I could spend the bucks now and build it to keep up better with all the new tech, it hasn't broke yet and doesn't show any sign of it happening soon so...... Anyway, as long as the rear shock doesn't see saw like a pogo stick you should be good till it breaks. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

i can dig the dont mess with until it breaks idea- theres plenty of other things on the bike that need attention too, this just seems like a good time to mess with it (i just bought a v force delta 2 reed valve and a new set of sprockets and chain along with a new clutch- might as well do it all at once while its out of commission for a little while.) it doesnt sag too bad when sitting on and average riding around- when i get airborne though, I worry about the landing, havent bottomed it out yet, but getting close...

Old 01-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Then your best bet is to mess with the adjustments given and see if you can't work it out (free), if that doesn't work then contact TCS to see if thay can re-valve/spring your shock. If so it's much cheaper than a new one. They did mine since I've put on a few pounds since i bought the 400 and it made a world of difference.

Quick Reply: aftermarket rear shock?