ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

350x help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350x help

Got a 350x not to long ago need some help.

1. When it first starts up it smokes just a little (white smoke) after warm it really doesnt somke. Whats causing this?

2. How much compression should I have? I have always heard that they have a lot of compression but mine is not terribly hard to kick, It is a little harder than most other bikes but not real bad. I weigh 215 pounds this might have something to do with it? I can pretty much stand on the kicker lever and it wont go down? does this seem about right? I do have the decompression cable also.

3. For some reason I can ride it for awhile then if I turn it off or it stalls for some reason, Its seems like it doesnt want to start back up. If I turn it off and try to start it like 5 minutes later I have to get it started on the first or second kick if not for some reason it wont start unless I let it sit then try again about 5 minutes later. Then I have to get it on 1st or 2nd kick if not I have to repeat the process again.

4. I was told that I could cut some holes in the airbox lid and get a little more out of it, if I did this would I need to rejet? I was going to cut the holes then put some type of screening over the holes to keep the mud and paticles out but Im not going to if I have to rejet. Im also gettting a uni filter soon.

5. Im extending my swingarm 5 inches - Where can I get the extended brake line? Also what length of chain will I need after extension? 520x(?)

Im getting a top end gasket kit this week I think I needed a new head gasket because it seemed to be leaking something out of it, really small amount but Im taking care of this before I ride again. Any damage this could have caused?

If anyone can answer any of those questions, Thanks

Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 350x help

i think the answer to some of your questions is piston rings. sounds to me like you need new ones, i think that can cause the symptoms you described in #1 and i think will help most of your other problems.
if your doing the head gasket, it might not hurt to take off the combustion chamber and just ahve a look at them.

anyways good luck, steve

Old 03-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default 350x help

yup, I agree with pink. It sounds like that engine has ALOT of hours on it. Id get it rebuilt, and get osme power back! but that starting thing, whare if you dont get it right on the first or second kick? thats normal. My 350X does that, I like it, because only I know how to start it. It took me about a week to figure it out, but when ever someone wants to ride it, I tell them to start it, and they cant! so I know thats normal, but the compression thing, thats from the pistion, it needs new rings!, I weigh 200lbs and I gotta throw my weight on my right foot to kick it over hard, hoping it wont back fire..OUCH does that hurt, but its worth it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you'l love that bike, I know, I tired selling mine and I couldnt do it, its like a drug, but this one habbit you dont want to kick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default 350x help

Piston rings? Hmmm it seems to run really strong. I will have to look into that is there a place I can get just the standard size rings? Ive also heard valve seals would cause this smoke. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default 350x help

I would really just get the engine rebuilt...then all of the problems are fixed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350x help

Id change the valve seals first cause that would cause the bike to smoke at first but when warm it will not .

Old 03-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default 350x help

blue smoke = Oil in combustion chamber
white smoke = excess fuel

If you are getting a mixture of both colors, I would suspect valve seals as the previous post mentioned.

I have a buddy that used to have a 350x and we went through some testing on it for starting issues.

Seems that if you just shut it off, for some unknown reason, the float assembly will let some excess fuel into the carb which causes it to over fill just a tad and flood the intake. This would cause him to have to crank like madd, or let it sit a bit for it to evaporate.

Next, we turned the fuel off before shutting the bike off. Problem solved. Would crank right up on first or second kick. Just remember to turn the fuel back on after you get it running.

If you stall it, quickly reach over and shut the fuel off otherwise you are back to square one.

As for compression, make sure the decompression cable is doing it's job. I believe there is some adjustment in the cable. For most 4 stroke engines, a rebuild is not required until the compression drops to around 110 psi, sometimes even lower. Now every manufacturer tells you to check the compression a bit differently. Most say warm, and most say pin the throttle open so that air can flow into the cylinder while cranking over 3-4 times. If your guage is over 110, I would say you are just fine. If your compression seems low, add a teaspoon of engine oil to the cylinder before attempting the compression test. If it jumps up significantly, the rings would be suspect.

Hope this helps.

Ride On.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default 350x help

I guess the smoke could be a mixture of both blue and white. I have only had it running for about 1 hour total since I bought it. It needed a new head gasket so I didnt run it much its stripped apart right now waiting for head gasket to arrive.

About the smoke it didnt smoke really at all when it was idle-ing(sp?) just when I would rev it up real good???

Old 03-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default 350x help

Well, that could be as simple as jetting. If I understand you correctly, it smokes only when cold and revving high? What about the choke position? If the choke is on, you would expect it to run rich and thus a bit of smoke when comming off of a high rev. Now if the choke is not on, and it smokes comming off of a high rev, this could be just fat jetting.

If you have the head off, do yourself a favor and install valve seals. They should not be that expensive and I would recon that most honda shops would carry them as I belive honda used the same seal in quite a few bikes.

Good luck and Ride On when you are re-assembled.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default 350x help

Thanks everyone 95Wolverine you have been a big help come to think about it I could have had the choke on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] when I was revving it up. Do the vavle seals come with a top end gasket set because I have one on the way now. Also how can I get my compression checked with the engine off the trike? Is it possible I would hate to have to put the engine back on only to find out I needed rings. Can I get a tested from an auto-parts store? Like autozone you can rent thier tools? Thanks once asain to everyone for all the help it is appreciated!

Quick Reply: 350x help