ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

What causes 200s to die suddenly while idling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes 200s to die suddenly while idling?

Okay.......this is a follow up to the post several weeks ago where I asked what carb a Keihin PD85C goes on........ It ends up we have an 85 Honda 200x with an 84 200s motor. Got that all figured out and got all the correct settings and adjustments and jet sizes, etc for the carb. I rebuilt the carb again. Found no clogged passages or jets. Couldn't adjust the float because it was plastic, but the level measured to spec. Put a new air filter on too and new ngk plug. Now this is what it does..... The machine runs with the choke off and idles decently. However you have to have the throttle cracked a little to get it to start. After a period of time (usually 30 to 90 seconds) the motor just dies. I can't figure it out. I tried to do the carb adjustment procedure once I got the engine warm and idling ok. I turn in the pilot screw slowly till closed and it never dies! The pilot screw doesn't even effect the idle. I have sprayed carb cleaner around the plastic insulator piece between the carb and head, but this yields no change in rpm. So it appears there is no air leak. I have not checked engine compression or strength of the coil. Got any ideas? Its like the fuel just quits flowing. Sticky float perhaps, but it's completely rebuilt and clean? This wouldn't explain the pilot issue either. Help!! All I want is the bike to idle and stay idling. I wouldn't think you should have to hold the throttle open to start it either.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Where did you clip the needle? also if you let it sit for about 20 sec will it fire back up? {reason I ask is if the petcock is goofed (or plugged) then you will burn the fuel from the carb bowl and the fuel supply can not keep up and it dies} Also with your carb cleaner......you may want to check it.....I have got ahold of some that you can spray directly into the carb and it will not rev up...some are not flammable enough, so checking leaks with it is a waste of time.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure on the carb cleaner I used.. good point. Maybe I'll try some starting fluid. I will take the fuel screen and petcock apart and clean it. Perhaps there is build up in the valve. Although the screen looks like new when you peek through the tank. I'll check the vented cap also. It seems that when it dies it will fire right back up when you crack the throttle open a little and give it a few pulls.