ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Carb is leaking fuel from the drain tube.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb is leaking fuel from the drain tube.

I have a 83 185s and it was sitting a few years, drained the old fuel but when i put new fuel in, gas just comes pouring out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb. I didnt want to take the carb apart yet to see, i am thinking something is stuck or do i need to take it apart and get a rebuild kit. What would cause the fuel to come out like that?

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The float is stuck or the float needle is worn....or both.

Be sure to check the seat that the float needle contacts when you take it apart. If it shows any sign of corosion whatsoever, you may as well be looking fr another carburetor. The seat is pressed in from the factory and no one makes a replacement even if you could get it out.

A would tear into it and if it's usable, get the carb kit anyway. Anything sitting up for that long with fuel in it the entire time is going to cause problems for you now, and in the future without a rebuild kit.

If by chance, the float is just stuck from sitting up, usually a few small taps on the float bowl will knock it loose.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes a new carb is best, if you need much for parts. However, I have had very good luck resurrecting some real nasty carbs with a parts soak made by Gunk called Hydrosolve II. Usually overnight is enough for anything but the thickest nastiest varnish, then maybe two days. The stuff really dissolves gasoline varnish, and usually jets come out looking shiny and new. It's pretty mild too, I've even soaked plastic floats and Vitan tipped float needles with good success. I usually remove main jet\emulsion tube, holder, slow jet, float needle, mixture screw then soak them along with the whole carb. Right now at work, I have three sets of carbs off GL1500's, a set of carbs off an old CB750, and a set of carbs off a GL1200 (I might be forgetting something cause my head is spinning right now). My point is I do a LOT of carb work, and I would be lost without this product.