ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

jetting advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting advice?

i'm thinking about a jet change. i ride alot down here at about the 1000ft above sea level, but i spend most of my time in the summer up around like 4000+ft, and it seems to have alot more get-up down here and runs alittle eratic up there. the idle if fine but i'm thinking that i might make a compramise on the jet size or jsut get a different jet to run the higher elevation. its not hard to change out jets is it? i've always jsut settled with something that runs, but i'm gettin to like things that run good. well, any advice?

Old 06-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

I will tell you an easy change that takes only two minutes..........when you go to the high elevation, unscrew your throttle cable from the carb and change you needle clip to the top....then when you get back home change it back.......that is the only change you should need to make!

Old 06-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

when you go to higher elevation you have less air......so you need less fuel to make the propper air-fuel ratio. That is the reason behing the clip change

Old 06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

If you have an enclosed air box, this trick will work . Cut some 1 inch holes in the lid top, and when youre at lower elevations, cover them with duct tape. As you go up in altitude, pull the tape off the holes one at a time, until its running good, and as you go back down, retape them back up. It takes a little experimentation, but you dont need tools or carry jets, and you get the same results.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

Originally posted by: hondabuster
If you have an enclosed air box, this trick will work . Cut some 1 inch holes in the lid top, and when youre at lower elevations, cover them with duct tape. As you go up in altitude, pull the tape off the holes one at a time, until its running good, and as you go back down, retape them back up. It takes a little experimentation, but you dont need tools or carry jets, and you get the same results.
ha, not a good idea. i ride muddy trails with lots of water, and occasionally, well quite often i totally sink it. i dont want to have an open air box, and its not too hard to move the clip. obviously i'm not an expert, thats why i use this site. well thanks for the information. i'll mess with it untill it works. oh, is there 3 or 5 positions for the clip? i think 5 but i havnt looked at it.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

there is 5. your 200s is sapposed to be on the middle (3rd notch) Top one is #1(most lean), bottom is #5 (most rich)

Old 06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

thanks for the replies. i'll do that.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
I will tell you an easy change that takes only two minutes..........when you go to the high elevation, unscrew your throttle cable from the carb and change you needle clip to the top....then when you get back home change it back.......that is the only change you should need to make!
Uh no. Changing the needle clip will only adjust the bottom end. raising and lowering the needle clip is to fine tune your lower and middle end jetting not your overall jetting. When your at full throttle the needle is all the up out of the main jet. so at full throttle it dosent matter where the clip is. Its the main jet that you should change. the higher the elevation the smaller the main jet you want. Only jet donw one size at a time to be safe. also utlize the air screw.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

how much do jets usually cost? cant be more than a few dollars, if it is i wouldnt even bother. i still might not touch the jets, i'll jsut do it one step at a time. i think i might take the airbox lid off jsut to experement. it helps out my bros 350X.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jetting advice?

Thank you for the correction..........It makes total sence, and now some problyms I have been having may have a better chance of getting fixed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], Sharpie, sorry for the misleading advice there!

Quick Reply: jetting advice?