ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Gets worse and worse:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gets worse and worse:(

Well, i finally broke down to opening up the area to access the timing chain to see what all the rattling is about, to my conclusion, there was very little slack in the timing chain, so i was puzzled[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Were could this rattling be coming from..so i was playin with the screwdriver and i accidentally pushed up on the cam shaft sproket and it moved up...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]..so im like wtf???..thats it, tore the valve cover off, and i cant see much, so i pull the cam shaft out and its been cooked[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img], the end that just goes into a friction bearing was so heated and worn out, i couldnt even hammer the cam shaft out of that little friction bearing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]..so its not looking good, but i have a spare cam shaft to use, so im not mad about the whole thing...yet

Also, the cam lobes were odd also, they should be oval shaped and smooth all around, but these ones at the top of the lobe, it was as if they had been pushed in or worn down becuase it has a lip on each side at the top of the lobe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img], so im clueless here, maybe becuase the bearing was gone that these lobes wore out like this, someone with experience, plz help

I found alot of tiny metal particles up top, which i thought would happen from the new piston, but the reason i think the cam shaft sorta blew out like that was because there is a little oil gallery that shoots oil into the cam shaft centre. Now, i think that maybe its plugged from these little particles flying around, so, ive blowen the little hole out with air, i dunno if it did anything, but i need some advice here...i want to be able to fix this with out having to tear down the engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Many thanks
Sean

Old 06-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

You better check the head where the cam rides also. If the problem you are having was bad enough to wear a steel camshaft it probably did a number to the aluminum head.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, i check checked it out, looked fine to me, i installed my other camshaft, ran it for about 30 seconds, popped the valve cover off and their was tons of oil right underneath the camshaft, i dont know if this oil comes from the cam chain or the little gallery, but the cam shaft seemed to be getting oil inside, is there anyway for sure to make sure its getting oil??

Sean

Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

The front part were the camshaft rides looked fine, it was the back end it did a number on, like not the head or cover, just the friction bearing thing that it rides in, jus out of curiouslity, how long do u think it would take that part to have worn out like it did, i ran this thing for at least 3 to 4 hours already, and the rattling from the camshaft only came about real bad after like 2-3 hours of riding....

Sean

Old 06-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

A bike with good oil pressure really and truly doesn't wear. I know they wear, just not excessivly. You had to have had a clogged passage or somthing to cause the damage.

Old 06-15-2004, 03:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

weak oil pump? Check with the specs in the book. Or is it possible you put the O-Ring on the wrong head stud?, this will diminish the oil supply to the top of the valve cover. Run the engine with the covers for the rockers off (the ones you remove to set the valves) and run it....give it a minute and you should have oil everywhere!

Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Well if i do that, wont oil be flying off the cam chain as well, i dunno just a thought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, right now im 99.9% sure what passage it was..its about 2-3 mm in diametere lol and it breaks off from of the 4, the rear, right hand stud on the engine and im thinkin some **** got clogged in there from sitting for a couple years[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PlatinumDogg
Well if i do that, wont oil be flying off the cam chain as well, i dunno just a thought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Yea, but you can tell "oil sling" from "oil pressure"
my 200x pumps some serious oil to the top end!

Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

nother question for you? Does you trike have a removeable oil filter? or the cyntrifical (sp?) one?

Quick Reply: Gets worse and worse:(