ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Front Brake Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Sticking

Every time i get on my 350x and start to go on gravel the front wheel just wants to stop and slide but it will go once i get on pavement. What could this be? The brake cable or my master cylinder? Thx.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

check the slides on your front caliper....the reason it seems fine on the pavement is traction.....if you slides get gummed up the caliper will stick on.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have tried spraying Brake Cleaner on the caliper but it hasn't taken any of the junk (if any) off of it. Could it be that my brake cable might be bad? My brother-in-law said that it might have been pinched somewhere and won't let the fluid go all the way back to the reservoir and some of it presses in the master cylinder causing it to stick. But i have no idea whats going on other than it gets really annoying riding with my front end sliding every time i try to turn lol.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the return hole in your master cyl may be stopped up. Take the top off the master and you should see 2 holes in the bottom. The smaller one is the return. Your best bet would be to completely disassemble the ft brakes and clean them. Then if you still have problems it should be easier to track down.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help guys, I am almost ready to tear into this thing and fix it from the ground up. Its gonna be frickin sweet once its finished, um i was wondering something, can i buy a new seat cover that looks like the original style? Like the 350x print on the side and honda on the back. Also are rear master cylinders hard to rebuild or is it just better to buy a new one, and if so how much do they cost? Thx a lot guys, this forum kicks as$!

Old 06-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

The masters are not hard to rebuild. Last time I checked the kits were still available from Honda. The kit will be about 50 bucks. The cyl if available will prolly run 3 to 4 times that. Try Hi-Flite for a oem looking seat cover. Ceet does not print to 350x on them anymore.

Old 06-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I found out what was wrong, the slides on for the brake pads have years of rust on them and whenever i pulled the brake in the pads would squeeze in but wouldn't return because they would get stuck on the rust. So now i'm gonna have to take it apart again and sand those sliding bars down clean and put it back together. Then it'll be on to my back brakes (total mess!), i'm gonna have a hell of a time fixing my master cylinder because the piston is froze up inside of it, so i have no idea how i'm gonna get it out. I guess thats the price to pay for gettin a trike thats been sittin in a garage most of its life....

Old 06-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is the fun of the old trikes! Once you get all the stuff worked out, it makes you proud to ride it around!....when you get the slides all cleaned up put some "anti-seze" or some disk brake greese on them to prevent it for freezing again.

Old 06-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

In a way i'm glad that all of this stuff is wrong with it like the brakes being frozen, that proves that the whole thing really hasn't been rode all that much in its life since eveything is stock on it, the engine has great compression also and has no smoke, even at start-up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, i've just totally cleaned the front caliper and put it all back together and my front tire rolls pretty freely now but i haven't applied the brake yet because i still need to put new fluid in it and bleed the air. If it sticks again what could it be? Are the brake pads supposed to be able to slide back and forth freely? Hopefully it won't stick again but it probably will, this damn thing is pissin me off.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Sticking