ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

new three wheelers??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new three wheelers??

I heard somewhere that the law that banned three wheelers ha expired. Is this true and if so wouldn't it be cool to have new three wheelers?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i believe it is true that 3 wheelers are legal again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the Consent Decree Expired in 1997 or 1998 I think. I know that it is expired whichever year it was.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think companies are too affraid to dip back into the atc production. also, they have a lot of money in there quad line ups and sales seems to be doing well for them (dont know for a fact but its always big in my area). I think from a marketing standpoint and even legal standpoint, they should do it again but ease back into it. 3 wheelers were really beginning to shine and handle very decently in 84-85 and production stopped in 86-87. go figure. people are people and liquid courage didnt help along with the powerful, bad handling trikes of the earlier 80's like the 81 250r. i think they should try it out. there are sooooooooooo many old heads that still love the trikes. i get compliments on my R when im at glamis or gordons every single time i stop the damn thing.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

I don't think the ban was for having 3 wheelers it was just for manufacturing and selling them. I don't think it is as cost effective now to manufacture trikes, they would have to have so much crap on them that it would hardly be a benefit. I would like to see them make some OEM parts for the old ones to make a restoration project mint.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

id love to start building custom frame 3 wheelers with modern engines and suspensions. if i got like 1 major frame design, i could make jigs and build the things 3-4 at a time in my garage. say, maybe use like 300ex electronics and mechanicals. i wonder if honda would sell that kind of stuff for any kind of price advantage.....it would probly cost a fortune individually from a dealer. i also want to start making pilots/odysseys again....anyone who's ever had one can tell you how much fun those things were. they never banned the odysseys and pilots, but i dont think they could have been too profitable, there arent too many pilots out there.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

If they could legally make them I think it would be cool to have a trike with a more modern engine.Also pilots and oddyseys would be awesome too. Like a trike with a 450R engine built for motocross. There would have to be some people who would act irresponsible though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and then they would enact the law again

Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

It would be great to have a modern day trike of some kind. However the ones of old are somewhat scarce compared to what they used to be and alot of the younger crowd would buy them and then get themselves hurt really bad because they wont have any idea what kind of skill it really takes to ride and manage one to its full potential. Everyone would just think that they do, get on it and go ***** to the wall and get hurt. So the sue happy people of this world would prolly buy them on purpose just because it is a quick ticket to easy (although painful) cash. What a world we live in.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: hondawontdie
I don't think the ban was for having 3 wheelers it was just for manufacturing and selling them. I don't think it is as cost effective now to manufacture trikes, they would have to have so much crap on them that it would hardly be a benefit. I would like to see them make some OEM parts for the old ones to make a restoration project mint.

i dont understand this statement. there is less to a trike than a quad.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HA2
Originally posted by: hondawontdie

i dont understand this statement. there is less to a trike than a quad.
I think what he is saying is that they would have to spend the R&D money to start the manufactering of them. I think that since the two strokes are done in 2006 they should go ahead and make the 2006 Honda 250R (the legend returns) and the 2006 Yamaha Tri-Z 350 Twin. I would sell my house to buy one of each. lol

Quick Reply: new three wheelers??