ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Set timing chain 84' 200x

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:21 PM
MCJ
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set timing chain 84' 200x

I was woundering if i change the cylinder head am i going to have to re-set the timing chain. if so how would i do that.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Easy....
1: Pull the valve cover off
2: Pull both plugs out of the left case cover and set to "T"
3: Make sure the Cam mark is set at 12:00 O'Clock
4: Remove the cam chain tentioner
4: When you pull the old head off tie a string to the timing chain and keep tention on it {tie to the frame or something}
5: clean all your stuff/install head / torque ect.
6: make sure the crank is still at "T" and install the cam with the mark at 12:00 O'Clock again
7: then put everything back together, set valves and adjust the timing chain tentioner

book lays it out pretty good, if you don't have one PM me your e-mail and I will scan that part in and e-mail it to you when I get time.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

You will also have to re-set the pulse generator, and make sure it has the right gap between it which is about 0.014.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:50 PM
MCJ
Weekend Warrior

Wow is this really as hard as it sounds or am i going to have to take it to a professional. I would like to do it myself to leard how, but i dont want to screw it up. I found a schimatic list at www.3wheeler.org on the cylinder head, but it didnt say anything about the pulse generator being at a specific spot or i didnt read it close enough. Thanks for you help.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Well thier is only ONE way that can on. The whole pulse generator (known as pulse rotor also) is loctaed directly beside the camshaft. You will have to take it off to set the timing, and when you put it back on it will be easy. Thier is a little black box in thier along with a rectangular shaped flywheel that spins. Just make sure that the little black box has a little gap from that flywheel ( i dont know the specific name for it) or it will get ruined. The first time I timed a 4-stroke it took me about 7 times messing with the flywheel, and cam chain, and cam sproket, and the pulse rotor. Its a good exxpierence. Try it just take it one step at a time, and write things down if you have to. if you get stuck just buy and book, and that will tell you what to do.

First put oil on all the places needed. Dont worry about the timing yet. Put the cam chain on the cam sproket and then put the sproket the camshaft. Put the camshaft on the head. put the head cover on and tourque it down. (16-18 pounds if you want to get specific) Now take off the side cover for the camshaft, so that you can see the cam sproket. Take off both screws on the flywheel/stator cover. Now turn the motor over untill the T mark is in the middle of the smaller hole. You will probably need a flashlight. When it is there make sure the piston is at TDC. you can do this buy seeing if the rocker arms have any play up and down at all. It wont be much, it will only be about 0.003. After the flywheel is in place take the bolts off the camshaft sproket, and take the sproket off the camshaft its self. Thier is an O mark on the cam sproket right above one of the holes in it. Thier is also a V notch on the head cover (right in the center). Now, rotate the sproket which ever way needed untill the O is difectly below the V notch on the head cover. Dont forget that the flywheel still needs to be at the T mark. Once the flywheel is in the proper place and so isnt the cam sproket, put the sproket back on the camshaft. Start putting on the camshaft cover peices one by one for your first time. After that is on thats it. I hope I didnt confuse you, but you can always buy a book. Its easier than the internet because it shows pictures.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM
MCJ
Weekend Warrior

Ok, i think i will give a shot, but i have one more question for you. How would i know for sure when the piston is at TDC and if it isnt how would i put it there?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Acually it will be at top dead center when you can see the T mark on the flywheel, that is if you put it on right which im amsuming you did.