ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Rebuilt my carb and it still runs poorly!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt my carb and it still runs poorly!

Ok, so I order a moose carb kit and proceed with the rebuild only to have my 81 185s run the same as it did before the overhaul. The carb was meticulously cleaned/soaked in my ultrasonic cleaner so I know that none of the passages are plugged. The problem is this, when I crack the throttle open it boggs down until you feather the throttle up and then it cleans itself out. I want to get rid of the bogging down. The valves are set and the compression is good. I can't seem to figure this one out and would like some input. Thanks

Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Are you running the correct spark plug?

Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This could be a lean bog or a rich bog.
Try using the choke next time you hit it, if it runs better, then its too lean.
Try pulling the air filter, and then try a run...if it runs better then its too rich.
Heres a good article, that helps to explain jetting and the adjustment, and the symptoms of rich and lean.
jetting

Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

pull your plug out, and tell us how it looks. If it is really goopy, and black......too rich. If it is too clean, and "burnt" looking......too lean.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so the plug is black and sooty. But the funny thing is that it runs better when I hold my hand over the airbox hole. Maybe I need a engine rebuild. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 AM
The Facility

You are running lean right now if the engine performs better with an air intake restriction. [your hand over the airbox]

Old 12-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Going on what knowsalot said.....

Do you have a fuel filter installed? If so, make sure it's an ATV/dritbike filter. A lawn and garden filter will not allow the propper flow and cause a lean condition. Also, check the fuel strainer in your tank. I'm not sure if the 185s has the same set up as the 200x, but mine has a screen that sits on top of the fuel pick up in the tank. If there's a a lot of scale or just crap in the tank, the screeen can get clogged.

If the fuel deliverly is OK, it may be time to pull the carb and check that the float is operating properly.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Cant he just jet up???

Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

If it runs better when you choke off the airflow, you are defintiely running lean (like knowsalot said), although that fdoesn't really jive with yopur plug being all black and sooty. I would start with a new sparkplug so that you can read it "fresh". Is it possible that you have an air leak somewhere? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner or wd-40 on both ends of the "boot" that connects the carb to the engine block? Might be worth a shot. If the engine revs up at all while you're spraying, then maybe you're drawing air in from somewhere that you shouldn't be. You could always try jetting up like catchme suggests, although that might be treating the symptom and not the problem. Where is the little circ clip set on the neddle jet right now?

Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought about the air boot leaking and sprayed starting fluid around it but it did not change the rpm's. The clip is set in the 3rd position and when I raised it up one it ran worse. That is why I am confused as to why it would run better with my hand being over the airbox hole. If it was lean then moving the clip up should make it run better not worse. I will keep trying.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt my carb and it still runs poorly!