ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

New Guy, Question about rusted gas tank. NOW HAVE CARB PROBS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy, Question about rusted gas tank. NOW HAVE CARB PROBS

ok thanks alot.

i guess i will jus have to let it run for a lil while befor i can even turn the choke off to set the idle.

and the idle would be the screw that sticks out on the right side of the carb, right?

thanx for all the help guys. im better at ridin them than fixin them LOL, i need a sponsor.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes that is the correct screw, but "blip" the throttle a touch while you screw it in, otherwise the screw will dig into the slide.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok pretty sure i let it run up to temp. still same prob.

like if i keep on the gas jus a lil it wont die when i turn the choke off.
but if i dont keep on the throttle it will die as soon as i turn the choke off.

when it idling with the choke on seems high but when i turn the choke off dies.

think i heard a slight (gasp) of air when it died tho. could a leak in the carb mounting cause that? cause it to not run with choke off?

should i try setting the idle real high with the choke on??

any other ideas?

Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Check your pilot jet/ idle jet. You should have two jets in the carb. The main jet which is probably in the middle of the carb and the pilot jet. I bet it's clogged from the rust. I had the same problem with a 350X and it was the pilot/idle jet. The idle jet is only used when you're not using the throttle. The minute you start to open up the throttle then the main jet is used. You should be able to see all the way through it and it probably has some little holes on the side too. I'm sure they sell rebuild kits on E-bay for it. Which usually has a new pilot jet included.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

first i want to thank everyone who replied to me. i appreciate it!!!!

ok i took the carb completely apart again. recleaned everything.
i belive i may have had the floater jet ( lil plastic funnel lookin thing goes around the main jet) on upside down? if i did it is fixed now.
also i may of had the slider,atached to the cable in the carb backwards.( this also may have been right, dunno never really knew to pay attenttion to it) but i belive it is in right now.
AIR Filter was clogged up too. replaced it.

what i was sayin about the slider is it can fit in 2 ways i may or may not of had it right? now it is the right way.

also after i did this, i pulled the plug and it was blackkkk. any idea what caused this? could i have fixed what caused it cleaning the carb and air filter?gap???

...... so where i am now is its too late to try to start, so i will have to first thing tomorrow. wish me luck....LOL

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. i am goin to change the oil too what specific oil should i use, and how much????

Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

If it was only running with the choke on, my vote goes to lean. You cleaned the carb, so hopefully, that will take care of that.

Make sure your pilot it turned out 2 and 1/4 turns. That will effect your start up and idle mix.

The slide only goes in one way. The notched side faces the idle screw. If you put the slide in backwards, the throttle would always be 1/4 ore more open.

Be sure you have the correct plug in there! I was running the incorrect plug and my machine would not stay running in the cold weather.

I would install an inline filter between the carb and the tank ASAP to prvent any crud from getting into the carb. Get one from your local motorcycle shop.

Also, there's should be a screen above the fuel pickups in the tank. You may want to pull the petcock and clean out the screen.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes glenn is right. check the "straw filter" on the fuel valve. it cloggs up pretty easy when your tank is crapped up. i ended up with a small tear in maine when i removed it, but found a aftermarket valve and filter for about $20. honda wanted $30 for just the filter.
also check your gas cap, mine gave me fits and it was the last thing i checked. mine wasn't venting correctly.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks alot guys!!! i appreciate the advice.

AND. what exactly is the pilot you say 2 1/4 turns out on. where is this located at. is it the lil biddy screw in the front of the carb that faces down?

also what oil and how much does the 200x take. thanks, Bill

Old 03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

With the carb on the machine, the pilot screw is the screw on the bottom of the front side of the carb. Turn it in untl it's lightly seated...then back it out 2 and 1/4 turns. It may be easier to do that with a carb off the machince since it's hard to get a small screw driver in there.

Edit:
Forgot your oil question! I run 10w-40 oil (Mobil) in my 200x. As long as it's NON energy conserving, you'll be OK. The 200x takes about 1.1-1.2 quarts.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks again guys. i will let you know what happens when i get to start her up and run her.

i had taken some things off to paint them. they should be dry , jus got to get them back on.
much much appreciated.

Bill

Quick Reply: New Guy, Question about rusted gas tank. NOW HAVE CARB PROBS