ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

air stryker tuning help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air stryker tuning help!!!!!!!!!!!!

i recently switched from a mikuni flatslide to a 38mm air stryker. i took it to glamis last weekend and could not get it tuned or jetted properly. i went from a 170 main jet to a 192 and i have no top end at all, the spark plug is mosty white after doing plug chops.my secondary is a 58, its ported and polished milled head,205 compression,new reeds and spacer, k&n w/ lid off.it doesnt have an air leak and it ran fine before i switched carbs the mikuni was leaking out the float bowl so i replaced it. i got a jet kit from duncan racing and it had 178 mains to 188 and none of those worked. maybe im doing something wrong????? would take it to a shop but every where i called in san diego wont touch it so im running out of options since theres only one more glamis trip left in the season!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:16 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you bring your mikuni and swap it out to see if it still works?

i dont think you should have to run more than a 180 main. what gas are you using?

Old 04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

no cause it still leaks alot of gas i run racing fuel with castor 927 at 32 to1

Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I had the exact same setup and went to the same setup you did except I have a K&N directly to the carb no air box. My compression is the same 205. My 40 mm flatslide mikuni leaked also when the gas was left on. I am running a 180 main from ESR not sure what my pilot is. I will run out in a bit to check and let you know. I have only ran at Glamis. I mix at 32:1 also and my plug is dark brown. I'll go check my pilot jet. My pilot is a 55 and my needle clip is in the 2nd groove from the top. Check the needle clip position if you haven't already. My bike seems to be running great pulled olds in 4th gear no problem.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot I got rid of the stock reed valve and installed a V-Force 3, no spacer. I don't have any idea what bore size my engine is though. I'm running Velocity race fuel(110 octane) from the Quick Trip gas station on Mollison in El Cajon. What year is your bike? There are plenty of places that will work on it here in SD if it is water cooled(85 or newer). If it is air cooled I know of 2 places that will work on it. Itami Motorcyle in Imperial Beach and RP Racing in El Cajon.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

what needle are you guys using ?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

It was a DDG or DDJ, now I don't remember. I already cleaned and put my carb back together and reinstalled it on the bike. I'm pretty sure the DDJ, but not 100%.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

my bike is an 85 watercooled and im running the exact setup as you jkass except the nice reeds i have boysen reeds on the stock cage. im running my needle on the third clip but tomarrow ill go out and and change my pilot to a 55 and go back to the 180 maybe i missed something. do you know how many turns your air to fuel mixture is? i was talking to a guy and he was saying it could be that. my needle that im running is a DG J. is that gas in el cajon comporable too the race gas you buy form the shop? thanks for the help cause i was at the point of burning the bike last weekend, i was in glamis and i couldnt even ride, talk about going crazy!!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

It's leaded 110 octane and is only $4.99 a gallon compared to VP in the shops is $50.00 for 5 gallons.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check the reeds and if you have any exhuast leaks. i had a similar problem because i had a hole in the back of my old crappy silencer where the exhuast and silencer meet. same problems as you.

you shouldnt be running anything bigger than a 180. there is a chance you're doing your plug chops wrong, but thats irrelavant if the fact you're not getting any power up top.

i would think the bike would run fine up top and like crap down low if the reeds are toast, but you never know. 2 strokes will run like crap if the reeds and pipe setup are a miss. they revolve around it........especially your jetting.

Quick Reply: air stryker tuning help!!!!!!!!!!!!