ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200s problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200s problems

alright i have a 1984 atc 200s. i got it for free and its been sitting ina shed for 5 years. first of all what does the compression release valve do? second, when i ride it for a little while it fouls a plug when i try to start it, and sometimes i cant get it started and some times it starts right up. i have to change plug all of the time other wise it wont start. any ideas on that it sucks pull starting it: . thirdley, can you buy seperate head gaskets fort the motor? if so where at? i want to take the head off and port it and then put a xr200r camshaft in it. will that affect the jetting at all? and the timing rotor inside the circle thingy on the head where you can adjust the timing, whicgh way do you turn it? in the manual it doesent say anything aobut it. and one more thing, when the manual says 2nd notch for the needle clip position does that mean counting from the top or from the bottom?

Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 200s problems

OK, let me try to widdle this one down a bit........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Compression release holds the exhaust valve open so the engine turns over faster/starts easier
If it sat for 5 years, REBUILD THE CARB!!!!! A kit is under $20 and this should fix your plug problmn.
Get the Top end gasket set....HERE because when you remove the head, you take all the holding pressure off the base gasket, and it will most likley leak after.....and for $14 it is worth it in my opinion.
1st clip is the top (dull end) of the needle / that is the leanest setting....
Set the pulse rotor by....set the crank to the "F", then turn the pulse rotor where the line points directly at the center (metal strip) on the pickup. (you just loosen the 2 screws holding the pickup mounting plate and rotate it) make sure the springs and weights are free on the centrifugal advance.
Bump your main jet up to around a 108 or so.....and go up a couple on your pilot jet also. If you go through the cam work, get a good air filter and look into an exhaust.
Hope this helps a touch.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

but do you think a 108 jet will be right on? i notice that you have a 200x, have you done this setup in yours? what else have you done to get performance? would staright piping it get more power if jetted correct? right now im using a shop towel for an air cleaner. my dad says i cant spend much money on the atc so....... and for the pilot jet should i just go down a few notches then a do a plug chop? are most of the kiehn main jets the same? ive looked for some for my 1986 fourtrax 250 and havent found jets for the QA type but maybe they are interchangable. do i have to get a carb kit or can i just clean the carb i got now? its actually pretty clean with not much old gas in the bowl.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 200s problems

Originally posted by: maddmudder13
but do you think a 108 jet will be right on? i notice that you have a 200x, have you done this setup in yours? what else have you done to get performance? would staright piping it get more power if jetted correct? right now im using a shop towel for an air cleaner. my dad says i cant spend much money on the atc so....... and for the pilot jet should i just go down a few notches then a do a plug chop? are most of the kiehn main jets the same? ive looked for some for my 1986 fourtrax 250 and havent found jets for the QA type but maybe they are interchangable. do i have to get a carb kit or can i just clean the carb i got now? its actually pretty clean with not much old gas in the bowl.

OK, the thing that cought my eye was...."my dad says i cant spend much money on the atc".......Ok if you want the truth....I would get the 200s runnig correct, and all together before you play with the cam idea. The aftermarket cam will do you no good with out the carb being dead on; with out a good air filter; ect.

The 108 is just a educated guess on my part, use it as a starting point only. The plug chop is for the main jet testing, not the pilot jet. As far as getting the jets. Take your old ones to a local motorcycle shop and they should have an assortment of them. I HIGHLY suggest getting a carb kit, but that is your call.

I sold the 200x and got a YZ250 dirtbike for something faster. BUT on the 200x I had a 10.5 to 1 piston punched 30 over. Ported and polished head. moose air filter, 110 main jet, hollow stock exhaust, and that is about it and it ran it's @$$ off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If it was me......I would buy a carb kit, air filter, new oil, new gas, new spark plug, and get it running; then ride it!!!! Do the upgrades later. You can buy the aftermarket parts while you are riding it. PLUS you may find that you need to dump some $ into the trike itself....chain, alxle bearing ect.....

Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

yeah im gonna get it running first, but maybe get the parts now but just dont install them. ive done the neccessities like change oil, new gas, cleaned carb, and went through several sparl plugs but i just have trouble starting it sometimes other than that it runs good.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 200s problems

Check your carb settings. Clip should be 3rd groove, float level is .49 inches, and the initial pilot screw setting is 2 1/4 turn out.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

so the clip would be 3rd from the top right? i messed around with it today and it fired right up with a new plug, im thinking i have the needle clip on the wrong setting. seems like it running rich and fouling the spark plug.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

so the clip would be 3rd from the top right? i messed around with it today and it fired right up with a new plug, im thinking i have the needle clip on the wrong setting. seems like it running rich and fouling the spark plug.
Get rid of the shop towel it is acting as a choke making it rich....If that doesnt help put the clip up a setting or two.......I had a few old 200 atc's that chewed up plugs like that setting up the clip on needle to lean it out and no more plug problem........Also check your choke it maybe on.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

alright that makes sense to raise the clip. when i first tore apart the carb it was on the highest setting for the needle i thought i would be mr perfect and put it on the correct setting but i guess im wrong. i was maybe thinking i had a bad cdi or something becaseu the spark is pretty weak do you think thats the problem?

Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Range Rover
Default 200s problems

alright that makes sense to raise the clip. when i first tore apart the carb it was on the highest setting for the needle i thought i would be mr perfect and put it on the correct setting but i guess im wrong. i was maybe thinking i had a bad cdi or something becaseu the spark is pretty weak do you think thats the problem?
I think your cdi is fine when they go you have no spark....Your fire is week becouse your plug is week from running to rich(put your clip up and trash that towel lol) The clip was at the top for a reason........You can also try your air mix screw (under the carb. in the front) try turning it out alittle......hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 200s problems