ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Need mechanical advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need mechanical advice

Hi everyone, After a few years of not having an ATC I now have the opportunity to buy one for $250. It's an '85 honda 200m. It's got the racks, new fog lights, new battery, new rear brakes and cables. It's Quebec and the middle of winter here which is why he' trying to get rid of it.
I have a very short window to buy this. The only problem is this..according to him one of the rear wheels doesnt always turn properly. He says theres some sort of nut or something on the axle and there's grooves or teeth on it and the grooves/teeth on the wheel sometimes doesnt 'catch' and so it doesnt make the rear wheel turn. He said that it's posible to weld it into place to solve the problem. He mention the rear wheel on the other was doing that many, many years ago and that was welded and it took care of the problem. This is what I could understand of the french he spoke.
My questions are..If welding it would take care of the problem, roughly how much would this cost and how safe and/or reliable would this be? He mentioned changing the axle but how complicated and expensive would this be? And where would I find an axle?
Thank you for any info you can provide.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

Weld the hubs, (both) and you cant pull the axle if the bearings go bad. other than that its a cheap fix, I'd pull the hub and see which splines are stripped if its the hub, replace it, if its the axle.....? its up to you, but change the bearings before you weld it if you go that way. Drill it and bolt it would be safer.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont suggest welding the hub, unless you know 100% what you are doing.
Usually when welding is needed the hub and/or axle are trashed. If you weld it with even a slightly off center; it will ride like an egg any speed above 2nd gear. AND trust me; after you weld it on, you will need to remove it for some other repair![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
You can pick up some decent parts on e-bay
To change the axle is a minor pain in the rear, but if you buy a book for your trike, it explains how to do it very well. You will save a ton of $$ doing your repairs on the trike yourself.