ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

110 Head Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 Head Problem

Hello all. I am new here but have been reading posts for a while and have definately seen alot of valuable info. My question is whether anyone has used a helicoil with good results? I have a 1985 110 with a stripped out (very bad) spark plug whole. It is so oversized that the normal spark plug swims in the hole if put in it. Would a helicoil still help this situation? I have thought about getting a different head with good threads off ebay. Can a guy use any 110 head on an 1985 model or will just the 1985 head be compatible for it? Thanks for any help you supply. Great site by the way!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default 110 Head Problem

This post may be of some info to you on Helicoils versus other methods. If that isn't enough, do a forum searct for "Helicoil".

Rethreading

Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 110 Head Problem

I see some info on oil drain helicoil applications but nothing really for spark plugs. Anybody have any info on which heads would fit on the 85 110? Just the 85 head or any other year? Thanks.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 110 Head Problem

Originally posted by: Fencer
I see some info on oil drain helicoil applications but nothing really for spark plugs. Anybody have any info on which heads would fit on the 85 110? Just the 85 head or any other year? Thanks.
Im pretty sure they make a spark plug sized helicoil. Im not sure of the spark plug thread size but Ill check it out when I get home. What spark plug goes in a 110?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 110 Head Problem

It takes an NGK D8HS. The onle prob is that the hole is bored out already like the previous owner had tried to use another, bigger, plug in it. I am not sure whether or not the helicoil that is meant for the correct plug would work. I am leaning towards switching out heads but just not sure which are compatible out of all the years of 110's. Sounds like it would be about even in the expense department. Thanks for the help so far.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default 110 Head Problem

Originally posted by: Fencer
It takes an NGK D8HS. The onle prob is that the hole is bored out already like the previous owner had tried to use another, bigger, plug in it. I am not sure whether or not the helicoil that is meant for the correct plug would work. I am leaning towards switching out heads but just not sure which are compatible out of all the years of 110's. Sounds like it would be about even in the expense department. Thanks for the help so far.
Do you have any maching ability or do you know some one who does? There is a product called a KeenSert but Im not sure if they make a sparkplug sized insert. There is also a possibility of the plugging the hole and putting a new tapped hole in the plug. Im not sure if it would work but I may be interested in trying to do it for you if your interested.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 110 Head Problem

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
There is also a possibility of the plugging the hole and putting a new tapped hole in the plug. Im not sure if it would work but I may be interested in trying to do it for you if your interested.

This almost seems like a waste of time to me. The insert would be a better option. They are selling heads on ebay cheep he might as well get a new one then messing around with the one he has.

atc 110 head

Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default 110 Head Problem

Originally posted by: HondaAtcRoxz

This almost seems like a waste of time to me. The insert would be a better option. They are selling heads on ebay cheep he might as well get a new one then messing around with the one he has.

atc 110 head
Have you ever tried it? I was thinking it might work. If you made a stepped plug and put it in from the inside it couldnt blow out. I was just going to offer to try it for him if nothing else worked. The head on ebay would be perfect though.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 110 Head Problem

Will that 81 head fit an 85 110? My dilema is just making sure that if I buy one it is compatible with the 85.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default 110 Head Problem

I would think it would. Im not sure where you would go to check it out for sure.

Quick Reply: 110 Head Problem