ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Plastic welding

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic welding

Any of you guys have experience or know about plastic welding? Does it hold up/look crappy? I'm considiring buying one of the kits I've bee looking at online. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic welding

i have no real experience with it but i have heard it looks like crap and doesnt hold well.
what i would do is stitch it up with zip ties, you just drill little holes on both sides of the crack and stitch it up. do a search you will find more info

Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic welding

I have been an Ebay looking fool for some 200x plastic, i was gonna weld it then said why get some newer plastic to last another 20 years.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic welding

Automotive bodyshops plastic weld the newer car bumpers quite often. Looks like a new bumper.

Bottom line, the end product relies on the quality of the equipment and the experience of the operator.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic welding

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
I have been an Ebay looking fool for some 200x plastic, i was gonna weld it then said why get some newer plastic to last another 20 years.
There are some NOS plastic on there for 750 LOL. If your lookin for 86-87 plastic.

86-87 200x Plastic

Old 03-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic welding

Nope 85 plastic used is 50 to 125 plus shipping Mier is 125 free shipping.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plastic welding

I read a report on this stuff called Plastex- I think it may have been on this site- no, it doesn't look so great, but I'm looking more to strengthen my plastics. Also, if Maier made a rear for my trike that had space for a trunk, I'd get one. By the way, how do the Maier front fenders look compared to O.E.M.?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plastic welding

When I said I was looking to strengthen my plastics, I neglected to toss in the words "cracked" & "tie strapped", there's a couple breaks in both front & rear. Also, RMATV has a kit that comes w/ a clear rod of plastic & what looks like a solder pen- They say the clear plastic, when welded, becomes the same color as what you're welding...............Anyone ever try THAT stuff?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plastic welding

I just got done soldering my 400ex fenders back together. I did some stitching with a drill and zip ties...thenI used a heat gun heat the areas up. Not too hot.. I took a soldering pen..a good one...( craft stores sell them as wood burn kits) and I ran it over the cracks( more like break) and gently smeared them together..I used the soldering pen to burn of the zip ties as I went...Flip it over do the other side of the break...I even rewelded some tabs back on no problem.... Does it look like new? not really but its almost free and will do if you can't afford new plastics. Please note when your doing this do not rush this and do it in a WELL ventilated area..plastic fumes are very bad for you... if you need filler....you can use almost any medium that is the same consitancy ...EX: when I was missing a tab...I melted on a plastic allen wrench holder and drilled it ...Stronger than new.....you can melt extra media on your break after you have it tacked together on there and sand it down...I'd leave it ..until I get new platic...I'll see if I can get some pictures...

Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plastic welding

In the past I used a butter knife and a torch. Get the knife hot(not red hot) and smooth it from side to side to bond/smear the pastic together. Looks good from the top if you don't melt it too much and is OK in strength. Epoxy, etc will not stick to this darn stuff so not many other tricks. Frankensteining your plastics is OK for a beater Trike but a small crack on good plastics should be fine with welding.

Quick Reply: Plastic welding