ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

advice on teardown of atc 200m

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on teardown of atc 200m

1984 atc 200m this is smoking alot but it clears up after it warms up .... does any body have any tips or first hand knowledge of replacing piston rings and /or piston depends on condition of cylinder . please list any gaskets or parts that i may need to do the job do i require any special tools ? never had one of these apart before i have the sop manual for this model but nothing replaces some one who has done the job before

thxs in advance jonny neutron

Old 05-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

it is pretty strait forward no special tools need, I would buy an after market Gasket set, they sell top end only and complete motor, depending on what you want to do. personaly while apart I'd replace the timing chain.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

It does depend on how the cylinder looks. if there are a lot of deep scratches then you will need to have it bored out. it could also be that your piston is just wore out and honeing will remove very small scratches then you could get the same size piston with oversize rings or may not need the over sided rings just depends on what the cylinder looks like. It could also be that your valve seats are wore out too.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jonnyneutron
1984 atc 200m this is smoking alot but it clears up after it warms up .... does any body have any tips or first hand knowledge of replacing piston rings and /or piston depends on condition of cylinder . please list any gaskets or parts that i may need to do the job do i require any special tools ? never had one of these apart before i have the sop manual for this model but nothing replaces some one who has done the job before

thxs in advance jonny neutron
To do the job correct.....read the book first!!!!!
Only special tools I use is a dial caliper and a C style valve spring compressor. You can pick up both tools at any decent parts store.
Most likley; you will need a bore job and piston/rings to match, a upper-end gasket set, and check the valves close for excessive wear at the seat.
If you need any advise yell at me. I have done more top ends than I care to tell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

so heres the story .... got the bike for free , so far put 350.00 in to it to get it going and stopping new rear bearings blah blah blah ,..... all i want to do is stop the smoking .... if i do valves cam chain piston 'n' rings gaskets and everything to to the job is this bike worth it the paint is rough and there are some rough spots here and there the rest is all there and funcional electric start and lights tranny shifts good and it is alot of fun to drive.... ok i ll do it the fall ...... the real question can i ride it till then and not crash it ???
i ll just keeping checking the oil and new plugs !

Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

on ebay i seen a hole top end with the cylinder that the piston goes in and the piston,rings.valves.camchain,camguides,all the gaskets needed at the top end all brand new for $224.00 i thinks its a good deal i was going to buy that for my 200s because it smokes bad until it warms up and the 200m smokes all the time so. just go on ebay and type in: NEW Honda Atc 200 200S 200M Engine Top End Rebuild Kit!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jonnyneutron
so heres the story .... got the bike for free , so far put 350.00 in to it to get it going and stopping new rear bearings blah blah blah ,..... all i want to do is stop the smoking .... if i do valves cam chain piston 'n' rings gaskets and everything to to the job is this bike worth it the paint is rough and there are some rough spots here and there the rest is all there and funcional electric start and lights tranny shifts good and it is alot of fun to drive.... ok i ll do it the fall ...... the real question can i ride it till then and not crash it ???
i ll just keeping checking the oil and new plugs !
Man you already but 350 into it why not just put another 100-200 to get it right then you can have it for another 20 years. If you dont fix what ever is wrong now it will be junk in a few years or less... plus your just wasting money in spark plugs. All it could be is just need boring and a new piston which would only cost 100 or less.