ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

NEED HELP FAST!! IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP FAST!! IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

hi i was wondering if this is a good deal? its a 1983 honda 185 engine. it has all new rings and gaskets in top end, comes complete with carb and recoil, runs great, he wants $150 for it. is it a good deal i was interested in buying it? and will this engine fit in a 1984 200m frame????

Old 08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good price if it is indeed in good shape. You can't rebuild one cheaper. As far as fitting in the 200M frame, you should PM Knowsalot.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

It fits.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ok i went to his house today and he got the motor out. he cut the frame in in to peices so the motor was still in frame but only the craddle where it bolts in and he threw the rest out. He didnt tell me the whole story about the 185cc motor. When he rebuilt it he not only did the rings he bored it to a 200cc with new piston and rings and gaskets. man was i surprised. so i said did you start it up? he said they ran it for 10 minutes and thats it. and that he got it timed and set the valves by a professional mechanic. i asked him if you would take $125 for it and he said sure. i thought to myself this is an excellent deal, 185cc motor bored to 200cc with new piston and rings and all new gaskets from the cylinder bottom and up for $125! what do you guys think? ill put pictures of it in my picture gallery tomorrow. the things that are wrong is the carb has old gas in it, the shifter is welded to the shaft, has wrong plug in it fixed that, the spark plug threads in the head are alittle stripped but it still screws in, the decompression lever is not working not a big deal, thats it. other then that in great shape! ill let you know tomorrow if it runs good because im putting the motor in the 200m tomorrow so hopefully it all goes well.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

ok i got the motor in and it started in 2 pulls and ran good but there was loud ticking in the top end? the timing chain is tight and good. what could it be? and after i drove it for awhile now when i sart it it smokes real bad but it goes away alittle but its still smoking??? why would this be happening?
any advice would be great
thanks melvin

Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I would have to guess that the valves need adjusting(ticking sound) the valve seals are bad(smoke when starting) and the rings are bad(smoke when riding). Id also guess that he didnt have any engine work done to it at all. The shifter welded to the shaft isnt a good sign either. Did the guy show you any reciepts for the parts/machine work?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

no he didnt give any recipts, i didnt ask. it looks like he did do some work because there are all new gaskets on the bottom of the cylinder so maybe he put something in wrong or rings are in backwards i dont know. i was thinking the valves were out to.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

set your valves to .004 and see if the noise goes away

Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks will try that tomorrow

Old 08-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I would also check to see if the compression release cable is set correctly. If it is a little too tight you will hear a ticking in your top end.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP FAST!! IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????