ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Primary stator vs CDI...no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary stator vs CDI...no spark

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Originally posted by: PlatinumDogg
Technically the stator should put out 12volts or more. Attach a voltmeter to the power wires directly from the stator and crank the engine over, you should get a reading.
Not quite. The stator puts out an a/c voltage, usually around 90 volts. The rectifier, makes that a/c into d/c.
Had to chime in here as I have same issue on my 83' 110. Why would the stator need to put out 90V AC when the coil only requires about 12~14v DC? I understand it goes through a rectifier within the CDI unit but to have to step the voltage down from 90v to 12v doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here? I on my other running motor the stator doesn't put out 90V AC.....are you sure about this?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Primary stator vs CDI...no spark

I think we are all getting some words mixed up here. I don't know if this is true on the all older hondas but in general a CDI based system will work a few ways:

1) All the power the CDI needs is made by the exciter coil. That power converted to DC inside the CDI. The source/lighting coils are used only for lights and charging the battery. In this kind of system there could be a total failure of the source coils and the 12V system but the motor would keep firing. Almost all ATVs/ATCs use this system.

2) Another kind of system is where the whole alternator is just making AC power that is passed into a rectifier/regulator that runs the 12V system on the bike. The CDI will be pluged into the 12V system. In most cases this style of CDI is used on engines that used points but were updated to CDI in later models. They work but will not be very friendy with a weak stator or battery. This is why a lot of early 80s motorcycles will start on the first kick but never fire when the starter is cranking.

So keep this in mind when you are testing stuff. The pulse generator, Exciter coil and the flywheel itself are the three big ones to double and triple check. Don't forget to check the gap between the pulse generator and the flywheel.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget to check your stupid reverse cut out switch if its funky, it wont let you have spark to start