ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84' Honda 200s Timing issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84' Honda 200s Timing issues...

I have a 84' honda 200s. I recently installed new piston rings and gaskets. I have the engine timed perfect at idle but when I ride it, the motor starts burping at top end. I can ride through all the gears no problem it only burps at high rpms. Any soloutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

The new top end may have given your engine its performance back. It might not need as much fuel as your carb is pushing. I would rebuild/re-jet your carb and fine tune it. Ask away if you are not good with jetting. It may be as easy as droping your main jet one size outa time till your high rpm's rev clean. If its your 1/4ths to midrange throttle position thats burping, I would drop your needle one setting outa time and fine adjust your fuel mixture/pilot screw. These tips done right will make your bike run great at all throttle positions.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I forgot to mention that I also installed a new carburator just before the top end rebuild. I have it set to factory specs so that really shouldnt be an issue. It's only at full throtle topend that it starts burping. I could try adjusting the mixture screw If you think it may be a problem. The bike does idle well though. When I first rode it with the timing set right, the bike burped at topend full throttle. Then we removed the pulse generator and cleaned the advance and re assembled it. It ran great for about an hour then it starting the same thing again. I was wondering if weak advance springs could be to weak for the advance to work properly. The only problem is I cant seem to find just the springs.... the pulse generator kit is like $95 and I would hate to buy one just for two little springs. but If you think it may still be a fuel issue I could try and mess with it.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think if the timing or electric was off it would run like crap at all throttle ranges. If its retarded, it will give you better top end. If its advanced you will have more low end. My 200s manual here says your main jet should be a 110 or 108. Find out which and jet one down. If its a 110, try a 108 main. If its a 108, I would jet down to a 105 and take her out and try some wide open throttle checks. Don't jet down any lower then that though. Your local Honda shop should have the jet you need. If you have no luck with this, I would change out one electric part outa time till its solved. You might also want to check out your sheer key on your flywheel. This might do it. Let me know, I am curious. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well good news. I believe I found the problem... Its definately a fuel problem.... Just as a test I removed the air filter to see what would happen and The motor ran much better but not perfect. I beleive I may need to adjust my valves so that I can get them back to factory specs, then adjust my carb. The new rings gave me my compression back but I didnt touch the valve lash.. The valves do rattle a little and I think this may be why I am losing my top end.. The problem is how do you get to the intake valve without pulling the motor off the frame? The exhaust valve is right up front but the intake is under the top of the frame with only like an inch or two of clearance.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

hello. i had the same problem as you. but when i was doing that sense i couldnt really get in there to adjust anything i unbloted the whole motor from the frame and then i tiped it forward and there was more room.
melvin