ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

"High Performance A. T. C. " frames

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "High Performance A. T. C. " frames

Has anyone ever heard of these frames? I was given a three wheeler with one of these frames that has a twin cylinder yamaha engine mounted on it. The frame looks like it was professionally made, and has a sticker on the back that says :
"High Performance A.T.C. We make frames for BIG motors", and was made in California. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default "High Performance A. T. C.

Sorry, it is not High Performance, it is Hi Performance

Old 08-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

never heard of them, but would like to findout more also.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

post a picture,,, back in the day there were alot of guys building custom bikes and frames,,, the rd 350 yamaha was a favorite it was small and made big powewr,,, where do you think the banshee engine came from? yep rd350

Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

"Hi Performance ATC", which later became Hi Perfmance Atv was out of California, the town escapes me right now. They originally built 3 wheeler conversion kits and then complete frames for hondas and later complete frames that took motorcycle engines. All of their early frames for motorcycle engines were hardtail frames. Their later frames had full suspension. I have one of their frames that fits a yamaha R5, RD350, RD400 engine. which were very popular. The really odd thing is that I found this frame in the suburbs of Baltimore MD! These frames were very popular on the west coast especially in the dune ares. They also used this basic frame and by changing engine mounts they fit many different motorcycle engines. They even made the exact frame as mine that fit a kawasaki h2 750 2 stroke triple engine!!!! I've been trying to find an h2 engine for mine to switch over and get really crazy. The suspension frames had a monoshock rear swingarm and they had an option for a hollow rear axle, which was advertised to be stronger than the solid honda axles at that time. My frame is built to take a honda atc90\early 110 rear fender and the tank fitment was up to the owner. The front triple trees are steel and they fit the rd350 fork tube assemblys. It has no front brake but it has a rear disc brake which is the front disc brake from the yamaha rd350 and alos used the rd350 master cylinder with a really long hydraulic brake line back to the rear caliper. I've seen several of these frames for sale from time to time on ebay, both hardtail and suspension frames. Alot of the early 3wheeling magazines had feature articles on the rd350 powered trikes, which tended to have quite elaborate paint schemes and usually ran fiberglass rear fenders and alot of trick engine work. A nice find indeed. I have a couple pictures of when I first found my trike, but they are on my home computer and not here at work. I'm in the process of fixing mine up now. If you buy this trike have fun and hang on. I also have a xerox copied catalog that I might be able to scan in and post. Feel free to ask question and I'll answer when I can and try to get pics on later.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

pics?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi, newbie to this forum. Here is a link for the pictures I have of my restoration so far. im 25yrs old. My grandpa bought this 225dx trike back in the early 80's then when I was about 9 or so, he bought the front quad conversion for it, so I could ride it. I think it works great. It is a bolt on system. It does have front brakes. I am currently swapping out the rear hubs for ones off a 2006 yfz450. that way I can put some 4 lug wheels on. It is definitely a head turner because it is unique. http://s146.photobucket.com/al...r246/jburkhartsd/quad/

Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

What a bunch of crap to post a picture. Try 3 wheeler world .com. I have pictures of this trike posted over there. Lots of great info and pictures and parts for sale and trade. And a heck of alot easier to post a picture.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I READ YOUR MESSAGE I BUILT A ATC IN 1980....LIVED IN ORANGE COUNTY CA. WANTED TO KICK *** AT GLAMIS COMP. HILL SO I WENT TO EL CAJON ,SAN DIAGO.CA. BOUGHT A MONO FRAME AND EVERYTHING ELSE I NEEDED.... BOUGHT A YAMAHA RD350.STILL HAVE IT AND NOW LIVING IN AZ.AND RIDING AS MUCH AS I CAN!!WHEN I HIT 6th GEAR "GOOD BYE"....SPARKME PICTURE IN MY PROFILE ATV CONNECTOIN

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Vealmonkey
What a bunch of crap to post a picture. Try 3 wheeler world .com. I have pictures of this trike posted over there. Lots of great info and pictures and parts for sale and trade. And a heck of alot easier to post a picture.
It's not hard to post a picture here at all.

If it's a web hosted (photobucket, flick etc..) just highlight the url in the picture properties then click the button at the top of the reply field. Paste the properties and you're done. Or use your advanced reply tools and you can post one from your files on your computer.

Just like every other site I've been to.

Quick Reply: "High Performance A. T. C. " frames