ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200ES Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200ES Rear Brakes

This will seem like a silly question to many but.....I can't get the rear drum cover off of my 200ES. I have removed both axel nuts and seals and it still seems to be holding on around the axel when pryed. The drum cover will spin freely but will not pull off. There is obviously something that i am missing or is it rusted on. Alot of the time the simplest answer is the best but.........Newbie to three wheelers. Just bought this a few days ago so any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

For those of you who were wondering....there is no trick. Just alot of heat and elbow grease with a little rust penetrator. It worked well by hammering a wedge in one side while prying on the other while heating. Now, waiting for parts.......

Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JONEsy200es it's the rubber seal is what make's it hard to remove the drums , to late now to tell you how to remove them safely since you've already removed the drum ; but there's a rubber O'Ring type seal that goes around the inside of the drum !

The way i got the drums off my old 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 was with a big rubber mallet , i just kept banging away at the drum as i was turning the drum going in a criss cross ; pattern
banging on the drum and it popped loose once it cleared the seal !

At first i tried prying with big screw driver's and a tire end , but it wouldn't budge ; and i was afraid i would warp or crack the drum getting it off !

I even tried a big three legged puller and it wouldn't work , and i knew there weren't but 2 small bolt's screwed in the drum to hold them in place ; so that's when i started banging on them drums like chimpansee !

The seal is there to keep the drums water tight , i would get another seal if the heat melted or distorted the rubber seal ; you can still find these seals from your local Honda Dealer !

They're pricey from Honda , but better to pay 10 or so dollars now ; than pay 100 or more to replace your brake system later because they get mud and water inside the drum with out that seal and the rubber type plugs in the backing plate !

I'm not a Honda dealer trying to get you to go Honda O.E.M. , you can get them from almost any Dealer ; or even on ebay for less than Honda charge's !

Most of the other Brand name Dealer's will sell you part's that will fit your Honda at half price , so you will think about buying a quad or bike later from them on down the line ; but my first 4x4 atv was a Honda and it was bullit pruff ! .............

Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wasn't even at the drum yet. I was only trying to remove the cover. It was rusted on at the shaft. All the seals were already removed. I guess no anti-seize was used the last time it was opened. I agree about the OEM parts. You always know that the part will fit exactly and that it will last. I will pay more for that piece of mind any day!!!!!!!! By the way, how are these things in the snow????

Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jONEsy200ES I've never owned a 3 wheeler , but my cousin had a 1985 Honda Big Red it was a 350 five speed with shaft drive ; and my brother had 2 Honda 3 wheeler's at different time's
the first was a ATC150 and the second was a ATC250 and he rode with me over some of the most ruffiest terrain in north ga. with his wife riding double !

And they went everywhere i did with no problem , untill he started jumping these speed bumps the forest service made to slow rider's down ; but just about every rider on these trail system's used the bump's to jump their motocycles atv's and atc's !

It was on the smallest Honda 3 wheeler that my brother doubling with his wife on back , jumped one to many of the these speed bump's ; when he broke the front fork !

But he used one of those ratching tie down straps to repair it on the trail , he was able to make it back to the truck and trailer by hisself ; but his wife and young sister inlaw had to ride with me on my old 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 !

And we rode once when there was snow on the mountain trail's , when he had the ATC250 and to my surprise he could go just about anywhere i could on my Foreman ; so they do pretty good in snow ice is another story !

But my Foreman had the heavy solid straight front axle differential and straight double shocks swingarm axel on the rear , and during the blizzard of 93' the three wheeler got aroung better than the Foreman the first day before the snow hardened over night because of the weight difference ; the 3 wheeler only weighed about 200 lbs. compared to over 500 on the Foreman 4x4 !

So they do good in snow as long as it's not frozen like ice , and the 3 wheeler was only a 150cc engine on the one they broke the front fork doing the jump's ; both my brother and his wife's combined weight was over 300 lbs at the time so even the 150's were Honda tuff !

I sold the Foreman to the same brother in Nov. 2005 for $2500.00 at $50.00 a week , then a week after i bought a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 ; i sold them my old 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ for $3500.00 with the same payment plan !

The old Honda Foreman was still running perfect untill about a month ago when my brother raced it again't our nefew's 98' Yamaha 350 Wolfverine 4x4 , and both my nefew and brother told me the Honda was ahead for over 2 mile's when the Honda jumped time they were racing over a paved road that led to a place called Dug Gap Mt. it was on the way back when they had the race ; he told me it was still running after it jumped time but it would bog down and backfire when he tried to give it full throddle !

His wife had to push him back to his house with the Suzuki KQ , and when they got it home it was still running untill he gave it gas it stalled out and died ; when he tried to restart the engine it would only backfire !

But he rode the crap out of it from the first day he bought it from me , and he only changed the oil 2 time's and never cleaned the air filter on the Honda Foreman and they ride the Suzuki KQ the same way ; i kept asking him when was the last time he changed the oil, oil filter and air filter he would say 2 time's for the oil and oil filter !

But i don't think he ever cleaned and reoiled the air filter on the Honda or the Suzuki KQ , when i owned them both i kept up the maintence like clockwork ; that's what you should do on your Honda 200ES !
I don't know if your 200ES has a oil filter ; i know that the 1985 Honda 200X doesn't have an oil filter it just has a spring and a screen like filter inside the oil drain plug hole in the left hand side of the engine just under the foot shifter to filter the oil !

And the 200X only hold's 1.1 quart of oil , so they need changing more often ; and they need the oil checked everytime you start the engine to make sure the oil doesn't get low !

But the Honda's and the Suzuki's make Bullit proff engine's and drivetrain's , and even the chain drive's with the O'Ring type O.E.M. or aftermarket chain's will last a very long time as long as they're kept cleaned and oiled properly and adjusted ; so they're tuff as nail's as long as you keep them maintained !

Oh before i forget i have a manual that cover's the ATC250ES and it hold's 2.2 quart's of oil , but it only has the screen type filter in it also ; the manual says that the oil drain plug on the ATC250ES is under the bottom that you get to through a hole in the skid plate !
If the ATC200ES hold's the same amount of oil , it will go a little longer between oil changes ; but i wouldn't go over 30 days or 100 miles on the oil changes to be safe ! And i wouldn't waste my money on the high priced synthetic oils , all i ever used on the 86'Honda Foreman and the 93'Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ ; and my new 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS 4x4 ( with a Suzuki 376cc engine and Suzukis Duramatic auto belt driven clutch tranny the same oil !

Castrol GTX 10w40 winter , and 20w50 in the summer and i've never had any clutch slippage like some brands do ; i just make sure it's not the energey saving type oils ! The manual i have isn't an O.E.M. Honda manual so it doesn't go into deep detail on the repair or have a lot of photo's , it cover to many brand's to cover all models ; it cover's Honda , Suzuki , Kawasaki , Yamaha and Polaris ! .......