ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84 ATC 110 - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 ATC 110 - No Start

I'm back.

I picked up the 110 a couple of days ago. It ran when I picked it up, got it home couldn't get it to start. Pulled the carb and it was filthy. Took it apart, cleaned it, reinstalled and it fired right up. Adjusted the idle. "Made" my son ride it for an hour to run some fuel through it and get it good and warm.

He went out to start it this morning but no luck. I pulled the carb again and all seemed well. It's getting fuel, no leaks, good spark and I can't even get it to cough.

What I don't understand is that it was running so well yesterday and today nothing.

I'm pretty frustrated. Any direction would be appreciated.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine was a real PITA getting it to start when I got it and after I went through the carb too. What happend was the needle on the throttle cable wasn't on right. I had it in the hole like it was supposed to be, but it wasn't in the cylinder thing right.

The needle has a "C" clip on the top of it, then there is a clip that goes inside the round cylinder the cable attaches to. The clip holds it in place then the spring holds that clip down.

It's a long shot but worth a try. Somethig I overlooked when I did it. Now mine starts first pull everytime (so far).

Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked it out and it was fine. I moved it to the 4th groove - it was in the 3rd - hoping to make it a bit longer. No luck, same story. I have gas, I have spark but I can't get it to fire - not even a cough. Really frustrating. When I pull to start it starts sucking a good bit of gas and it gets pretty wet since it isn't firing. There is no leaking or overflow problem. It's very puzzling since it was running great after the carb cleaning.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you have the throttle open when you do it.....mine took wide open throttle and startng flud to get going the frst time, maybe yours it out of adjustment on the carb? I have not had time to adjust mine since everyone is home.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've tried it with wide-open throttle, closed throttle, with and without choke. I can't even get it it to cough and try to fire. The fact that it was running so well the day before has me puzzled. If I had to narrow the problem down, my best guess right now is that it is getting gas, it is getting a good spark but too much fuel.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Range Rover

it could be that its flooded try getting the fule out or the carb and tank and start over with new fuel if its still doing it try smaller gas lines it could be getting to much fuel u could try spraying b-12 chem tool hold throttle and spray in card be careful it burns quick i blew up my carb because i missed the carb a little and it backfired and the whole bike turned to crisp but it works expessally when its cold out side and when its fludded it makes it fire quick dont mix with gas

Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

After taking the carb apart again and working it from every angle it seems that the jet needle inconsistently sits in the holder. I believe that this could be enough to let in too much fuel and cause the flooding. Nothing else makes any sense. The cleaning must have removed enough residue that was helping to compensate and seal the gap. I have a rebuild kit on the way and hope I'm right about this - it should be a simple fix for a simple carb.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Range Rover

where did you find a rebuild kit at????

Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

ebay

Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update.
I think I found the problem. The primary coil on the stator was shot. Have a replacement on the way. If I'm right this will do the trick. I had spark - just not enough. Now after rebuilding the carb and playing with the timing I have a lot of fine-tuning to do

Quick Reply: 84 ATC 110 - No Start