ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

No oil in '83 Big Red - did I damage engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009 | 12:16 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default No oil in '83 Big Red - did I damage engine?

I recently purchased a near mint '83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red. I went to change the oil on it last night, and for reasons I regret now, decided to leave the drain plug out. I went to work today, and when I got home I noticed the trike had been moved. I asked my wife if she used it, and to my devastation, she said she took it for a 5-10 minute ride. Right away I put oil in it, and it started right up. There doesn't seem to be any odd noises, and it doesn't look like it's pushin' blue (burning oil).

I've been feeling sick about this all night. My question is, do you think the engine has been damaged after low speed operation (puttin' around the yard) for 5-10 minutes?

Old 10-07-2009 | 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Wow,... I would have to say if any damage was done you'd already know it. I think you got lucky. Have you rode it around for a while? It might have had just enough oil for the short ride..

Old 10-10-2009 | 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Post No oil in 83' Big Red - did i damage engine?

Originally Posted by trikeboy
I recently purchased a near mint '83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red. I went to change the oil on it last night, and for reasons I regret now, decided to leave the drain plug out. I went to work today, and when I got home I noticed the trike had been moved. I asked my wife if she used it, and to my devastation, she said she took it for a 5-10 minute ride. Right away I put oil in it, and it started right up. There doesn't seem to be any odd noises, and it doesn't look like it's pushin' blue (burning oil).

I've been feeling sick about this all night. My question is, do you think the engine has been damaged after low speed operation (puttin' around the yard) for 5-10 minutes?
I would suggest that you drain your oil again and check for metal shaving in the oil , this would give you a sign of any damage to the engine , clutch and transmission ; this would give you a little peice of mind and welcome to the forums !

williebee.......

Old 10-10-2009 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

id guess no you didnt do damage. my last honda didnt burn a drop of oil. granted it had oil. but still it didnt use any. seems like the old honda 3wheelers were built tough. id also have to agree with the above. there may have been enough oil coating left to prevent any damage. drive it. check the oil/drain it after a bit see if any metel pieces. if not. count your luck you may have lucked out. this time!!

Old 11-06-2009 | 02:59 PM
Banned
Thumbs up Ride RED

Honda is Solid. IMO It is ok. Allways change oil after something like that. Bullet proof, like tanks.