ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Help! Carb leaks into airbox (Big Red)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears once the bowl fills up it continues to flow into the air box and cylinder. I think it is the float valve but the dealer looked at it and said it looked fine to him. It seems pretty simple to me. If its not the float valve what else could it be?

FYI the float valve is a stinking $20. Go figure!

Old 08-09-2001, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its the float valve, it has to be. It sounds like its just stuck open. I had that problem on my old 85 Honda ATC110. Those things will run like a bat at of he!! by the way. Wished I wouldnt have gotten rid of it. You have tore the carb down havent you. If not, tear that carb apart and clean it up, work that valve around, get whatever deposits that are on it off and try that. If that fails, buy the new float valve and go from there.

Old 08-09-2001, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

I know not of what I speak but don't forget the float. I have never pulled on of the carbs apart but if the float is either saturated or if it's a metal one maybe it has a hole in it. If either is the case the valve will not close. (the float will not float) Just a thought if the valve looks good. Probably a bit of crap in there somewhere though but check the float.

Gary

Old 08-09-2001, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys! I have tried eveything, put the float in a cup of gas to see if it floats, it does, bought a new float valve and it still leaks. I've pulled all of my hair out, the only thing it could be is the valve set is worn but i wouldn't think so the carb looks brand new inside, or like you said the float has become saturated and is not as buoyant as it once was.
I guess I will be buying a $28 float next.

It's not suppose to be this difficult.

Old 08-09-2001, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

I've worked with this kinda stuff all my life and trust me ain't nothin easy. Like my old man used to say "ya can't take a *&@$ in 15 minutes" That's what makes the easy jobs fun. LOL I will say one thing though don't do anything rash. Most of the time it's the simple stuff. Make sure you slow down and think. Saves a lot of time and money. Can you work the valve usin the float manualy? Does the thing work that way? Like I said I haven't taken mine apart so I don't know how it is put together but try puttin some fuel in the bowl and work the float and see if fuel escapes and when you raise the float if it shuts off. Let me know what you find out. Maybe take some carb cleaner and hit the valve area real well. Did you try floatin the float? Maybe you can adjust it to shut off the valve. Like a toilet float valve. Don't go bendin a pushin until you sure of what your doin though.

Gary

Old 08-09-2001, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

You changed the float valve and all that? Well did i look into the float valve insert, there could be deposits in there that are keeping it from closing all the way. Did the bike ever sit with gas in it for a long period of time. Thats what happened to me, i got a bike that had been sitting for about 3 years and it was doing the same thing, i just cleaned everything as best i could, and it was fine. Just make sure there is no deposits at all in the carb. And before u put that thing back together completely, work that float up and down, make sure its closing without hitting on anything. Good luck to you, i know how stressing carbs can be.