ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200s Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200s Carb problems

Hey guys.....I got my 84 200s running strong but heres the problem.....

Turn on the choke and pull one time...starts right up. After a minute or two I cut the choke back down ( off ) and it dies. If I turn the idle mix screw in....the idle will pick up and keep it running with the choke off. However....now it will idle really high and then slow down and basically go high and low as you ride it. Therefore I cannot set the idle and leave it because the idle will change on it.

Heres what I have done to it.....

It sat for a couple years. I drained the old gas from the tank and carb. CLeaned up the cdi and replaced the petcock with a lawnmower gas cut off ( Honda wants 30 bucks for a petcock...nada! ). Otherwise thats it.

It runs very strong but I just cannot set the idle up.

Can anyone make any suggestions for me?

Geoff

Old 01-05-2003, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well you might want to take the carb off and clean it real good,(carb cleaner works good),then after that put it back together,then check your airfilter,see if its dirty,if so, have it cleaned or get a new one at www.denniskirk.com, get a uni filter 2 stage,my 2 cents,after this see how it does.....................good luck!

Old 01-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Trailblazer

I would suggest new jets in your carb... take everything you can off of it and blow compressed air through all the ports and makes sure everything is cleaned out real well, there are carb kits up for grbs that have all new jets in them and seals and all.... but now as I sit and think about it, check your intake boot that connects the carb to the motor, that may need to be sealed or replaced. if it is sucking air through there then you will never get it set right.... hope some of this helps
Josh

Old 01-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes on the intake boot dont seal it,it will end up breaking, I would buy a NEW one,sealing it only last for so long

Old 01-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok...bought some spray carb cleaner today. I ran it into the carb from inside the air box for starters. The filter is a uni and it is very clean...I believe that it was replaced before the bike was left sitting. I also poured a bottle of carb cleaner into the tank to help out.

I rode it for awhile and the little 200 seemed to be running a little better just from that. Im going to finish out this tank of gas and see what it does for me. If this dosent completely clear it up then Ill remove and rebuild it.

Unfortunately now I have to fix the recoil as it fragged on me while I was out riding today.

BTW......Just a little cleaning tip I discovered today!

My rims are heavily rusted over. I purchased some jellied rust remover ( Or naval jelly as its called ) and used it on the wheels. Put it on thick and leave it for a couple hours. Wipe it up and it removes almost all the rust! This is probably not news to anyone here but it was to me and it works AWESOME...especially for 3 bucks.

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Hey I hope your carb situation pans out... and of course we arew ALWAYS looking for ways to get stuff SHINEY!