ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

best ATV helmet two-way radio, long range, walk'e talk'es

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an AM/FM radio in my basement with an old antenna off a van I had, instead of the telescoping antenna that used to be on it. It only had a screw holding the original antenna in and when I opened up a walkie-talkie it was the same way. So was a cordless phone that died on me. I left the walkie-talkie as is, and I can't tell you if the range on my radio is any better. After I took the screw out and pulled the antenna out I used the screw to hold a short piece of wire in its place. I wrapped the other end of the wire around another screw with a nut on it that holds the car antenna on. I didn't have to solder anything. Now I have a goofy looking portable radio with a long antenna on it.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always did the same, with many radios, and always worked great, but you tube vid hooking up different elect. things in line for some reason, i thought like you, why cant it be as simple as plain wire from talkie to ground on wheeler? I'll try it out, when I get back outside, after our big wind storm, take cover Thanks

Old 02-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

A radio only recieves the signal where the talkie needs the antenna to send and recieve the signal. Radio signals go up into the air where talkie signals follow closer to the ground, that is why hills, buildings and terrain cause more issues.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 PM
THE BERMINATOR

On one ride we stopped next to a radio tower and looked it over. Estimating the size of one section and counting the alternating red and white sections I figured it was about 1/4 mile high. That's how the signals get over hills, which I wasn't really thinking about before. Radio waves of any kind scatter but those come down to you instead of just going across the ground. The higher your antenna is, the better your chance of getting a good signal whether it's a 2-way radio or 1-way. If you have 2 walkie-talkies or CB radios or whatever and they both have taller antennas they should have a longer range. They won't get signals over big hills but it would help in other places.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Got the tires installed yesterday, from my Firestone dealer, here on my corner, next to me, half bk. away! Good ol boys and talked me into the USA made Firestone'rs! Cost a lot mo, but feel much better going American, even though you AMERICANS charge so much more for everything, dam you! Give us a break....after all you don't have to ship them all away across the pond, or promise 2 mo. delivery dates, or hire slave labor children, to build stuff! But you do make a much better/safer product, and I love the ''peace of mind'' knowing these tires will get me.... way up north.... w/ my heavy *** ride ....up inside my van w/ me! So thank you very much! lol
SO NOW DOWN TO BUSINESS! ITS GETTING WARMER, DAYS ARE GETTING LONGER....LETS START THINKING ABOUT RIDING AGAIN, AS SOON AS THINGS START MELTING UP NORTH, HERE ONCE AGAIN!! I'M GETTING SOOOOOO READY! Got my check lists printed up, attaching them today to all my atv gear thingies! and yes lets ride!!
Taking/making reservations now so you (yes you, one guy, over 50 that really loves to trail ride/camp/get back to great white north....white with sand that is lol) and I, will be avoiding the rush, once the season hits us once again! Hurry got just a few openings left....just kidding your in luck, you could actually pick just about any day this spring/summer with exception.... Holidays, way too busy then, and on highways! AND LETS PLAN A RIDE/TRIP!! Thank you in advance for your participation, if deciding to join in! Really appreciate it! I promise you'll never forget the experience, especially if you've never been! and even if you have, I have many places you've never seen, the gems of the north trails! AND LETS RIDE!! AWOOOOOOOO!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Walkie Talkies
I only paid $29 for these talkies from Rite Aids, where their advertised 30 mi. range....yeah off mt. Etna lol but real crisp sound/response with over 2 mi. range with no obstructions, naturally! not as good/far up north, even if i still see my buddy, receiving the signal/call. So any help with antenna extended wire would be great, since I just normally stay close to other trail buddy, gabbing along the way, especially when seeing something in the woods, letting him know, or deciding directions. But there has been a few times where it would have saved hours after loosing

A HELL OF A TIME!
I pulled the van out of its van hut, yesterday to have new tires installed, with little problems, but when trying to drive it back in, is when I really sank deep in mud! , more soft yard dirt than graveled drive, on my newly constructed van hut drive, I hurried and constructed last fall! and made it almost impossible to get it back in, sinking deeper with each pass, I made! Half the drive was still frozen, so it caused the van to slide sideways, taking it away from the direction into the hut! Finally got her back in there, then remembered I have a dr. apt down at the VA, where the only parking is in the garages w/ low clearance ceilings, where my custom high topper van won't fit! So back out, I just went, to sink about 20 long boards down in drive, in front of the van, and hopefully will freeze solid by the time I'm pulling van out, real early Wed. morn. This spring I'll get a half yd. of 1'' stone gravel dumped there after removing garden variety top soil lol Got the maintainers back on batteries too, with temp dropping, now my the minute!

Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I hope you put ORV stickers on your list. Last year's stickers expire in 5 weeks, then you can buy new ones. Last year, for the first time, I was going to get mine at the Mug & Jug when passing through Mio like my friends usually do. But the new owners couldn't get anything from the DNR yet. There's a bait and tackle shop by them that sold stickers too but the guy was leaving when I pulled in. The only other place to get them in Mio was Ace Hardware so I had to go back 2 miles to get them in town. I didn't even know Ace had a machine to print ORV stickers, and hunting and fishing licenses. That tackle shop either. Now I know.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

We've gotten them from shell station Rose city, And St Helen ATV dealer
also on line

New - Login to Access eLicense

Buy your hunting, fishing, snowmobile and ORV licenses here on the official MI DNR eLicense site.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I'd rather go to a store once a year than give another website all of my personal information and have to buy something to print stickers on.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Two summers back we went to the UP to ride and just stopped at a gas station along 75, I ask and they had them. Had a number of folks say most everyone up in that area has the orv stickers on hand.

Quick Reply: best ATV helmet two-way radio, long range, walk'e talk'es