ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

is drag racing a sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is drag racing a sport?

my main point is that the more money you have the more you will win!

da- I bet you distroy your comp, why? because I know few people have pockets that deep!

I take my hat off for your motor building skill, if you built that your self!

Old 07-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

because their are so many mx events in california. I race the beach because beech lives by the beech. Plain and simple.

We may have a few dollars here and there, but not nearly enough to keep up on 3 drag bikes plus a mx bike.

It doesnt take AS deep as pockets if you know just what in the hell your doing.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:48 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dsracer666
I should have worded the title different to avoid the excuses.

I personly think drag cars are not that cool, my defanition of a sport is something that requries athletic's and skill!

If you doubt that the men and women that drive in the Professional Drag Racing Series, aren't athletes, then with all due respect, you have no clue what is involved. First off, the modern day Top Fuel car has an estimated 8000 hp. Controlling that hp not only takes skill by the driver, but requires the talents of an entire Team. The skill it takes is no different than in any other sport, when everything is going right. It's when things don't go right that a drivers talent, reflexes, and athletic ability take over. Controlling 8000 hp, going sideways at close to 200mph takes as much athletic ability, if not more, as it does to run the length of a Basketball court and slam dunk the ball.

A modern day Top Fuel car goes from 0 to over 100mph in less than a second. The G Forces on the drivers body at the time of the launch are well over 6 G's. That's 6 times your body weight pushing against you. The G forces ease up a little but still sustain around 4 G's throughout the run. As you cross the finish line at over 325mph some 4.5 seconds later, you pull the parachute and go from 4 Positive G's to 4 Negative G's. That's an 8 G swing. If you don't know what that does to the human body, it is brutal. That is why guys like Joe Amato retired due to the Retinas in his eyes detaching from the eyeball. That is why the drivers are breathing so hard at the end of the race, they literally don't breath for the full run, because the forces against their body make it almost impossible. These G forces are similar to what Jet Fighter pilots experiance, without the aid of pressure suits.

Professional Drag Racing is just like any other Sport. The Pros make it look easy. That is their job. If it WAS easy, then everyone would be doing it. The same is true for all types of Motorsports including racing Quads, whether it be Drags, MX, CC, TT, or Flat Track.

Are all types of Athletic Sports equal? No. Do some require more or less skill? Yes. Does that make them any less of a sport or the participants any less of an athlete? I don't think it does, but that is My opinion.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i like your opinion...

Old 07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

My opinion is:

Is there skill in Drag racing : YES.....definately
Buliding the motor 80% : Rider 20%
Is a drag racer an athlete? : NO......he races for what 4 seconds?

Is there skill in MX racing : YES.....for sure
Building the Bike 20% : Rider 80%
Is a MX rider an athlete : YES......Try it and see

conclusion : Rider % = skill level required.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

In response to asking to see pictures of your 3-engine banshee you said:

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
i have pictures, but only 2 members on this forum have and probably will see it.
Well.....I have a picture of my dog that has 3 heads, but only 2 members on this forum have and probably will see it.

translation:

I don't have a dog with 3 heads

I'm sure we can infer the rest

Old 07-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I compare a drag racer to a bowler! IT takes skill, just not a lot. My 1 year old can kind of bowl but she cant yet press the gas down.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:19 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a little food for thought:

say you have a 250lbs drag bike that makes 60horses to the rear wheels and since most of you are early teenagers with riding experience comparable to computer time, so you weigh 150lbs. 250+150=400lbs 60/400=0.15 .15HP per 1lbs

Dry weight of a Zo6 is around 3100lbs so lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say it weighs 3500lbs by the end of the day when it pulls up to the line. lets see .15x3500=525whp now remember the zo6 only make 405hp to the crank, not the wheels. so you beef the zo6 up to make around 600hp at the crank i can mount some handle bars on the hood and you can hang on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fhqwgads
In response to asking to see pictures of your 3-engine banshee you said:

Well.....I have a picture of my dog that has 3 heads, but only 2 members on this forum have and probably will see it.

translation:

I don't have a dog with 3 heads

I'm sure we can infer the rest
The difference between what i said and what you said is that i was telling the truth. I dont need to take pictures and show off all our bike to stroke my ego. If you dont think i have this bike then so be it. I have what to prove to you? Roll your bike up to the line, and ill roll mine up. Simple as that.

BTW, i never said it had 3 motors, i said it consisted of 3 motors. trans/cases//crank/cyls.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, He dont need any body elsrto stroke him, he can do it him self. Sorry couldnt resist!

Quick Reply: is drag racing a sport?