is drag racing a sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is drag racing a sport?

tell me what you think?

does it take skill?

if the person with the most money in his quad always wins is it still fair?

does it take years of pratice to learn like most real sports?

Old 07-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

when you can cut a perfect 400 light then you can talk about how much skill it takes to be a drag racer. And no, money doesnt always win a race. You can have all the money in the world but that wont teach you chassis setup and cutting lights

Old 07-09-2003, 03:00 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never done any organized sand dragging but i can tell u it takes some skill. launching mainly and front end control. ive seen countless people launch wrong and flip themselves on their backs and ive seen plenty of people just about kill each other drag racing at the hill. lots of people shift wrong meaning too late or too early or mis shift which cost races. id say hill dragging takes more skill than flat assuming the front wheels dont see the ground 80% of the race. not to mention the ***** u have to have when your machine starts to make 60+whp.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's how I like to look at it: Who participates in sports? Athletes!

I could be the biggest, slowest, most out-of-shape couch-potato in the world, but still have the skills it takes to excel at drag racing... does that mean I'm an athlete? Not in my opinion.

I think if you're assisted by anything other than a simple tool (such as a tennis racquet, baseball glove, etc.) then it's not a sport. I'm not saying drag racing doesn't require skill (it requires plenty!), but I don't think it's a sport. My grandma does a pretty mean cross stitch that requires a lot of skill, but she's definitely not an athlete. My overweight neighbor kicks butt at wood working and has won some competitions, but he's far from an athlete.

drag racing = competitive hobby

Old 07-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think you can consider it a sport if it's organized,but it does take skill..

Old 07-09-2003, 05:08 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fhqwgads

drag racing = competitive hobby
i agree with that, but i dont agree with any out of shape person can be the best. when your bike weighs next to nothing compared to a car your sheer weight begins to take a larger factor on the weight/power ratio. and for the average dune junkie we all know that none of the hard hit hills and even some of the flat drag spots havent be flat for quite some time now. hitting the whoops race after race in 90+ degree whether gets old quick.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

It's a MOTOR Sport.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to know what you all thought.

heres my take, I drag race every time I pull out the starting with 19 other riders! and I still have to do 3 laps with any one from stock to 25+k in there quad. but I still have a chance because It take skill and endurence to win, not a quick hand and deep pockets!

but I'll still give it up to you guys you quads do look nice and they are fast! have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Why don't you take 8 laps around a 3/8 mile dirt track and tell me you don't have to be in shape to be competetive. I have played tennis. The flat tracking wears me out quicker. I know this isn't drag racing, but it is still in the same class.

Answer me a question. Exactly how much does the pitcher in a baseball game move around? Is he considered an athlete? I know a few minutes of a TT race requires WAY more body movement that pitching a game.

That cross stitch needle is a simple tool, maybe you grandma is an athelete. Also what is a "simple tool"? Remember when Sosa broke his bat? They X-ray over 70 bats that he uses in games. Each one has its own characteristics. A little fatter here, lighter there, so you pick the perfect one for the pitcher and the diamond. What is the difference in that and me setting my sway bar with the perfect ballast to keep me sliding or hooking just the right amount?

Is wrestling a sport? A lot of those guys are overweight. I am not just talking about the staged WWF, but some wrestlers are more overweight than I am.

Is golf a sport? The hardest part of that is walking between the holes. Polo? That requires a stick AND a horse. Is a horse a simple tool?

Anyway, I would much rather chase down the guy in front of me than to chase a little white ball around a field.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i was just going to reply along the same basis as you did alky. How is golf a sport? Would you consider top fuel drag racing a sport then? All they do is sit in a car and punch the throttle right? please...nearly all racing is a sport. Whether it be organized lights or heads up racing. Jump yourself on top of a 100 horse honda/banshee and run yourself up a hill at 75+ hitting 2 foot rollers. We'll see how many obese fat men can handle that.

Quick Reply: is drag racing a sport?