ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2000, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any publications or websites that give tips on how to hit the jumps and adjust for landings? It seems no matter how hard I try I can not achieve the same results on similar jumps. I either nose dive, bottom out, pull to high, or just plain out bust it like I did when I broke my collar bone in 3 places. So you see the need for expert advice on this subject, because I wouldnt like to do that again.

Old 05-25-2000, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

One word of advice, start SMALL. Very small. Here are some tips:

If you hit a jump in to low of a gear with the engine screaming, the front end will be straight up. Correction in the air can be made by leaning up over the bars and stabbing the rear brake.

If you hit a jump with the engine in to high of a gear with the engine bogging, you will nose dive. Correction in the air can be made by gunning the throttle wide open and leaning WAY back.

Listen to the engines RPM and always know what gear your in. Memorize your shifting when going around the track.

If the jumps are short (around 2') and steep, they will always try to kick your rear end up, especially if your hitting them fast. Leaning back and a big tug on the bars is needed.

Bigger jumps, around 4' tall with a gradual face are best. A gradual face doesn't try to kick the rear up, and you can achieve more air with less spend.

If landing on a flat surface, you want the rear to touch down just before the front. These will be your hardest landings which often bottom out the shocks, even on race quads. Turning the throttle open before touch down will help soften the blow.

If landing on an uphill, you wan the front higher yet. These are also hard landings. Again turning the throttle open will help.

If landing on a down hill slope, such as the back side of a double or table top, you want the nose down. The closer you match your landing angle to the down slope, the smoother it will be. These will be your softest landings, if done correctly.

Landing on a down slope greatly reduces the impact. A large amount of air can be had, sometimes with out even compressing the suspension past half way.

When approaching the jump, be in the attack position. Slightly rearward, butt off the seat and elbows slightly up.

Memorize the jumps and how they try to throw you. Soon with enough experience, you will know what a jump will do to you without ever hitting it before. Take a look at the jumps, read the faces and decide your best method for jumping each.

Don't just go out, wide open hitting jumps and wondering why its not working. Take the time to figure out why its not working, and what you can do to improve it.

I hope these tips help you along to many happy flights.

Old 05-25-2000, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Chawness for your insight. I will give a little more thought before aproaching a jump. I think thats one of my downfalls just hitting the jump and hoping for the best.

Old 06-02-2000, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider