ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Douglas rims are worthless

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Douglas rims are worthless

I had Douglas 190s with Holeshots on them, on my Scrambler. I put 2000 miles in the VERY rocky rough trails in the Tennessee. I NEVER even got a scratch on them, much less a ding. Sorry, you had back luck with yours, but I would highly recommend them myself. I now have Douglas on my Predator and they are extremely tough.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

well when ya penny pinch,ya get bent rims dude!
If you would have ordered (rear) beadlocks w/inner re-enforcing rings and (front) re-enforcing rings at least on the outer, I'm positive that you could have years of trouble free jumping (like I have).
When we started racing 10 years ago,,I knoticed ppl having flat after flat,the ones that finished the races had beadlocks.
So are Douglas rims junk?? I Highly doubt it!
I know,,the truth hurts,,,sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

well my douglas rims leake air... damn thinks are no good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jsyi
I find it interesting. I have douglas .190 rolled edge wheels and I was going about 45 down the road when I hit my neighbors brick mailbox. The tie rod broke and the rim had a fat dent but the wheel is still fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
They aren't rolled edge rims. They are Red label .190's. My factorys are rolled edge and I haven't had any trouble with them. As far as the mailbox...You really shouldn't drink and ride.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

I would say half your problem is the 18" tire with a 10" rim. You are not leaving that much side wall to absorb the shock of landing a heavy quad with a rider on it. I bet if you added more air pressure you might not have had the problems with the rims but then you wouldn't have the traction that you would have liked. If I were in your shoes I would get some 18 by 10-11 tires on 8" rims with bead locks or at min. some rolled edges or reinforcing rings welded on them. You might have a few things to learn about your landings as well (since I haven't seen you ride I am not sure of this but it never hurts to ask someone that does watch you ride).

Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 AM
Pro Rider

I got the REAL cheapies [blue?] and havent had a flat yet.
I HAVE had to beat the rim back out twice with a plastic hammer....the rim took the hit and the tire was OK. maybe thats a good thing. but it never lost air. and I run desert.. pretty fast stuff. I wonder if i would have ruined a tire with a better wheel....hmmm.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

the blaster has XCRs with ITP wheels, it was a package. no complaints there either, but the blaster doesnt get the use the raptor does either. the ITP are shinier, does that make em faster? Or do I have to put stickers on em to make em lighter?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

hi gabg i don`t race but ive had douglas rimes and razor tires for years on my 500 zilla, and i ride in roug terrain all the time. i like them. stock steel rims are way to heavy

Old 08-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought some douglas .190 beadlocks because the .190 douglas standard aluminum would bend in 4-5 different places after each ride. This is not mototcross, just gravel roads.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trx250Rob
I just bought some douglas .190 beadlocks because the .190 douglas standard aluminum would bend in 4-5 different places after each ride. This is not mototcross, just gravel roads.

There's gotta be more to it than that. I ran mine as hard as you can run them. 50 mph trips up rough rocky roads, I creamed my rims plenty of times, never even a ding. Did I just get a good set? Or actually 2 good sets, since I have them on my Predator? The trails we ride are very rough, I would imagine they are far rougher than Florida trails. So what can you possibly be doing to tear yours up? I'm just curious is all.

Scott

you do have tires on those rims, don't ya? lol

Old 08-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I dont care what yall say, 190's suck unless they are top dollar rolled edge or reinforced. I rock the stock when it comes to rims, but I do sometimes buy the 190's when I am in a pinch and getting ready for a big weekend instead of mounting the tires myself. Without fail the 190's are done after one weekend and leaking air around the bead.

Quick Reply: Douglas rims are worthless