ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Douglas rims are worthless

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Douglas rims are worthless

I can't believe that they even sell these rims without a disclaimer. I recently bought a pair of .190 douglas rims for my 400ex. Apparently they aren't made for the MX track. I made sure and bought the thickest gauge rims for what I thought was added strength. I bent them both the second time around the track. I had 2 lbs. less pressure than the recommended maximum amount for the tires. I put in another pound, straightened them out and went out and bent them again. They won't even hold a bead now and I've only had them around the track about 5 times total.

I called Douglas and as you guessed it, they aren't standing behind the rims. What I was told was that they would test them but unless the metal tested bad I wasn't getting any warranty. And since I've had about 6 guys at the track tell me that they've had the same problem with the SAME rims and the guy at Douglas I talked to basically said I was SOL... His other solution was to exceed the maximum ITP amount of air pressure. If you've ever been around with MX tires over the max PSI you'd know how ludicrous that is. Just wanted to put the word out, in case anyone was thinking of buying the Douglas .190, DON'T!

Old 08-15-2003, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

go with beadlocks,race wheels or stock rims....OMF,ITP make decent ones...stock rims work good but they're heavier then beadlocks...

Old 08-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Oh great, I didn't want to here that. I got four razer2s mounted on the same rims on the way in the ups now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

wow they must have gone down the crapper . I bought a set of 190s about five years ago and I got hit in the wheel from the side so hard it bent the axle and put a deep gouge in the wheel but it was still straight and didnt even wobble. On the other side of the coin my cannondale cam ewith 125 ITPs and they warped just popping the bead on the first tire change. Maybe they had a bad batch of heat treated wheels.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had very good luck with the 190's and not ruined a rim ever. How much air did you have in the tires and when did you bend the rim? Jumping? And what kind of tires did you have. check to make sure that you got 190's and not something smaller. Compare them to a set that you know are 190's, Look at how thick the metal is at the center of the wheel by the lugnuts. That is how I can tell if it is realy a thick or thin wheel.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I'm no expert racer, but stock wheels off Z400's, ex's, Banshee's are very strong. Not the best by all means, but better the .190 Douglas butter rims.. I run Ultimates which are similar to stock OEM wheels..

Old 08-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Ridley
Thats unusual. Dougles rims are usually the best available, and substantially better than any other aluminum wheel. However, if your racing motocross, you should be using a beadlock wheel. The beadlocks are much stronger than any conventional wheel. Our race team has used many a red label wheel (.190) and never had a problem. What tires are you using on these things? sure you got the right size and sure they have the red label? It sounds like you got ahold of some blue labels to me.

If you really want the best wheel that lasts forever, go get some Hiper carbon fiber wheels. They are worth every penny even at 800 a set.

The tires are ITP hole shots 18" X 10" by whatever size the rims come with. When I called Douglas they had me double check that they're red labels and they are.

Old 08-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: tprender
I have had very good luck with the 190's and not ruined a rim ever. How much air did you have in the tires and when did you bend the rim? Jumping? And what kind of tires did you have. check to make sure that you got 190's and not something smaller. Compare them to a set that you know are 190's, Look at how thick the metal is at the center of the wheel by the lugnuts. That is how I can tell if it is realy a thick or thin wheel.
I had 8lbs. of psi. Then I took it all the way up to 10 which is the maximum for that tire, not to mention having that much pressure rattles my fillings loose when I come down from a jump.

Old 08-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Karlfly
I can't believe that they even sell these rims without a disclaimer. I recently bought a pair of .190 douglas rims for my 400ex. Apparently they aren't made for the MX track. I made sure and bought the thickest gauge rims for what I thought was added strength. I bent them both the second time around the track. I had 2 lbs. less pressure than the recommended maximum amount for the tires. I put in another pound, straightened them out and went out and bent them again. They won't even hold a bead now and I've only had them around the track about 5 times total.

I called Douglas and as you guessed it, they aren't standing behind the rims. What I was told was that they would test them but unless the metal tested bad I wasn't getting any warranty. And since I've had about 6 guys at the track tell me that they've had the same problem with the SAME rims and the guy at Douglas I talked to basically said I was SOL... His other solution was to exceed the maximum ITP amount of air pressure. If you've ever been around with MX tires over the max PSI you'd know how ludicrous that is. Just wanted to put the word out, in case anyone was thinking of buying the Douglas .190, DON'T!
Gee, thats strange...sounds like your PSI gauge must be off...i run douglas ultimate beadlocks all around NEVER! even dinged them...i even ran 3 laps @ glen helen with a completely flat front left tire (riding hard still), and didnt knick them. sounds like operator error in my opinion...and that is my opinion so please dont get upset

Old 08-17-2003, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

I find it interesting. I have douglas .190 rolled edge wheels and I was going about 45 down the road when I hit my neighbors brick mailbox. The tie rod broke and the rim had a fat dent but the wheel is still fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Douglas rims are worthless