ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

tips for a begining racer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips for a begining racer?

Hey everyone i am going to start racing soon and was wondering if anyone had any adivce for me i drive a 2002 300ex.

thanks,
atvguy

Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Try not to kill yourself..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seriously - I don't have any racing experience but have 2 friends that do a few MX races a year. They always tell others to practice, practice, practice and for your first few races just try to hang back and stay out of the leaders way until you get the hang of things.

That's about all I can offer - sure someone can give you more info. Are you looking at MX, CC, Harescrambles or what? I'm thinking about CC myself, but we'll see what I think after I go see a race in person....

Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

atvguy217
You are very lucky to have the opertunity at your age.
I have wanted to race since I was younger than you.
This a very helpfull website thanks to Doug Gust one of the best racers out there.

http://www.douggust.com/content/ask.htm

Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Are you looking at MX, CC, Harescrambles or what?

i am going to race at my local MX track but i wish there was some where else because its an open class race that means i could be racing turbo charger raptors lol i wish it would be more organized.

This a very helpfull website thanks to Doug Gust one of the best racers out there.
yea i know about that site they have been very very helpful.

Old 02-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to mx, I am racing my predator its only had a few things done to it. But that is no the key to mx it's all about the rider!!! Sure certain part help to an extent, but being in shape is more of a key at an entry level!!!! Just take your time and don't try to keep up with the pack, the first couple of races just try to finish the race not win it. And until you are confortable with the track and and the bike being in the air, don't chance all of the jumps. In practice before the race just jump some of the smaller jumps and roll over the bigger ones. Going ***** to the wall from the start is what will get you hurt!!! And stay in a class with your skill level don't jump up a class to soon.

One other thing just relax everyone is just as excited and nervous as you are, so take it easy and have fun with it, GOOD LUCK!!

Old 02-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

I am wanting to get started in that...

WHAT A GREAT WEBSITE! THANKS!

Old 02-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Opps, I mean to quote "5150tom"

Yes thats a GREAT HELPFUL SITE!

Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Practice is key. IF you're not comfortable on your bike, forget it. That sucks that they don't have divided classes. Bike setup is also a must. If your tires and suspension are not capable of tackling a motocross track, you're going to beat yourself up. Get into the mix and don't be afraid to challenge someone for a line. That's what racing is all about.

Here's my advice to you: Upgrade your quad. 300ex suspension is typically not capable of handling large doubles and tall tabletops. Not to mention having the power to keep up and keep others behind you. How old are you?

Old 02-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

2 things!!! Practice, Practice, Practice and More Practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ride as long as you can without fatiqing yourself!!!

The day before your race, hydrate yourself completely!!!! Drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water THE DAY BEFORE YOU RACE!!!!!!!!!! Not the day of!!!!! practice makes perfect!

Old 02-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

How old are you?
i am 14

Quick Reply: tips for a begining racer?