ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

My results from Lone Star GNCC race held Jan 31st

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My results from Lone Star GNCC race held Jan 31st

Well, I did it!!! I completed my very first quad race ever...and I did it in style at the GNCC race held this weekend in Gilmer, TX.

As far as the race itself, it was held on a 9 mile cross-country course at Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area (BMRA) in Gilmer, TX under cloudy skies and 50ish degree weather. B/c this was my very first race ever, my goal was simply to complete the race and do it without significant injury to myself or my quad. I am happy to report that I finished 3 laps during the approx. 2 hour race and earned 10th place out of 15 quads in my class (utility stock class) and earned 114th place overall out of 180 quads in the morning race. As expected, Mike Penland took 1st in my class and Scott Kilby took 1st in the utility modified class. I did get to meet both guys afterwards and they seemed like very easy going fellas.

The course was a very rocky, rough course with lots of steep hills to climb and descend. There was not much room for passing on many of the tight wooded trails. Most of the faster sport quads that wanted to pass the slower riders (like me) would get right behind us and either scream to move over or rev their motors loudly. The result was that I was very busy watching the course obstacles in front of me and watching for the faster quads coming up from behind at all times. Not exactly what I'd describe as a friendly ride with the guys!

At the end of my first lap, I suffered a sprained/jammed thumb on my "throttle thumb". It hurt like he!! the rest of the race...especially over the rough sections (which were everywhere!). Its a little swollen and tender now...but I'll be fine soon. Otherwise, I am dog tire and very, very sore as a result of the race. My quad faired pretty good during the race...it had all the power I dared to use during this rough course. It seemed like good suspension and braking was the name of the game on this course...both of which are not exactly specialties of a big, heavy P650 like mine. In fact, I rarely hit WOT for any significant length of time b/c of the many tight, twisty trails, the rough surfaces on straight-aways and the many bottle necks of riders. My left front (ITP C-series) rim suffered a nasty ding on a big rock during a steep hill climb (NOTE: my 25" mudlite tires do not offer much rim protection). I think I would have faired better with solid-looking beadlock rims like Penland has on his P700. Also, my front (stock) skid plate is now completely destroyed thanx to scraping across too many large rocks. I exclusively used my rear brakes throughout the race and they seemed to wear/fade towards the end of the race. Of course, I now have over 800 miles on these rear brakes and perhaps they are getting a little warn out now anyway. Otherwise, my P650 performed well and is in good condition after the race.

All in all, I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed the racing experience...but I don't think I'll do this particular race again anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm just too old/cautous for this kind of 2 hour beating. However, I do think I'll be more suited for the local (1 hour) hare scramble races like the Texas atvccs series.

PS - As far as I could tell, I was the only quad in this race that had a winch installed. I guess I always was a little different

Happy trails...

Old 02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on Finishing/Surviving the race

Old 02-02-2004, 03:55 AM
The Facility

Congrats indeed!!!

Alot of guys look at the GNCC and similar hare scramble races as a lazy man's form of racing and that no talent or physical conditioning comes into play other than just being able to ride the distance.

10th out of 15 is not a bad finish at all. And you being able to finish the race at all in your first outing is even more of an accomplishment.

Again, Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer

Good job! It's tough to finish your first GNCC, I only finished one lap in my first GNCC. I hope all the people that cought up with you wern't rude. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

98recon
Great job on a first place finish in the 4stroke stock class, and 3rd overall in the mourning. I had a feeling you would do real well. Were there any 450R's there?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

98 Recon,
Wow, I didn't realize that you were going to this race...I would have enjoyed meeting you and getting some pointers from you. Anyway, CONGRADS on taking 1st in your class! BTW, I didn't take offense to some of the faster riders (like you?) who approached me from behind and yelled/rev'd motor to get around me during the race...it was just that I wasn't expecting it, that's all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

GE4x4,
Yes, there were a few Hon 450Rs in the race. I thinjk it was the morning race (my race) when I saw a 450R have trouble kickstarting it when they dropped the start flag...he ended up with last in the holeshot b/c of that problem! Not sure where the guy finished in his class tho. I also saw at least 1 450R in the afternoon race too.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on finishing Mikey!

Just out of curiosity if you don't mind my asking - how would you rate your physical condition on a 1-10 scale before going into the race.

I'm going to one of the Ohio races this year to check it all out - hoping convince myself into riding next year.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

RedEX,
I would say about a 7 (of course, my wife may say that I am a lower number [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ). I'm 33 yo...but age is not as important as being in shape as evidenced by the winner of my class, Mike Penland (I think he is 50ish).

In addition to riding my quad regularly, I also started lifting weights 3 times per week just 1 month before this race to help me get into some kinda shape (more than 1 mo. would obviously have been better). I think that helped me a little b/c arm pump (tired arms) was not noticeably bad for me until my last lap. I think my thumb injury slowed me down more so than being tired.

The best advice I got before this race (which was my first quad race ever) was to pace myself. I can tell you I saw many, many riders get too agressive on their first lap and either flipped or wrecked their quad. Seeing big 4x4 quads on their side or upside down during the race only reminded me that I was in the race to finish and not to try to win it!

Old 02-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks! I try to be nice to the riders I want to pass. If I'm rude to someone they aren't going to want to let me bye. If I think the rider can hear me I will almost always yell "thank you," or I'll wave if I can take a hand off the handlebars. I was in the top three overall the whole race, and on the quieter of the three. The 450R in the Stock class (my class) was so late starting because of the switch being turned off, but he came back to finish second.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Good point Recon98. I definitely heard some thank you's and/or saw friendly waves from faster quads when I let them pass me in the race! I tried my best to get out of their way as soon as a safe spot came up, but it seemed like there were lots of portions of this course that did not have a good place to pull over, especially in the tight woods sections.