ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Twist Throttle for quad racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist Throttle for quad racing?

I've heard that Mike Penland and Scott Kilby use twist throttles on their P700's for GNCC racing. Has anyone else on this forum used a twist throttle on your quad? If so, was it hard to get used to and how does it compare to the thumb throttle???

Old 02-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I have seen some twist throttles on the P700, but I have never ridden one with a twist trottle on it. I have seen in though. But I have been on other quads that we transfered from a thumb to twist, and I don't think its that hard to do. It might be diffucult for you, but for me it was fine. I have a question, but I will just make another topic...

Old 02-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

Personal preference more than anything. I came to ATV's after racing motocross on two wheels for ten years, and I simply can't deal with a thumb throttle. On the other hand I know a guy that has a thumb throttle on his bike.........

Old 02-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

i have a twist throttle on my banshee but i was used to bikes before my quad

Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

I run a twist throttle for mine..... It's harder to do on a quad than a bike, at least it was for me... But nevertheless, I love my twist and never going back to thumb......

Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

I too run the twist throttle on my R. I have seen lots of threads about this topic and it comes down to:

Twist throttles seem to better for more experienced riders.

Thumb throttles seem to be safer because they prevent the throttle from being held at WOT when experiencing unexpected acceleration (your body weight is shifted back on the seat so you hold tighter on the handlebars and are unable to close the throttle). With the thumb throttle you can let off the throttle without letting go of the handlebars. Again, this is a matter of experience. If you are experienced, then you are prepared for the acceleration and can stay more "on top of the handlebars".

The other thing I llike about twist throttles was made apparent to me last weekend. We were riding in extreme cold (-17F) around the small circle track at the cabin in the upper peninsula of MI and my throttle started to stick. With the twist throttle, I just had to turn my wrist to get the throttle to shut off. It would have been much more difficult to shut off the throttle with the thumb version (I guess you would have to use your index finger to push the lever back to the off position.

Anyway, my half a cent for your displeasure.