ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

MX Riding Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2000, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to my first mx race this weekend...I would like to have some tips on riding mx...ex.jumping doubles, tables,singles...slide or bank the turns..mx riding is new to me and i am not sure how i should go about..any avice would appreciated!!!

Old 07-18-2000, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are so many thing that can go into a good mx ride that it is real hard to give tips on everything. On the start, try to get the holeshot if at all possible. Concentrate on the gate, Make your shifts smooth and fan that clutch. Remember when heading into the first corner, not to let them intimidate you to back off the throtle. The longer that you can stay in itthe better you will come out of the corner( undercontrol that is). Have you doubled before? How much experiance do you have? What kind of set-up are you running?

Old 07-19-2000, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

I have never actaylly hit any doubles before...this is because where i ride there arent any. I have a 2000 Yamaha Banshee with a Dyno-Port 2 into 1 pipe, K@N Filter w/Outerwear, DG skids and bumper, 21in Bandit front and 20inch Razr rears.
Any more info would help by Sunday!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2000, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

This is my second year of racing MX. Over the last year or so, I have learned so much, and I still have a long way to go. But I will try and share a little bit with you.

Starts. Worry about making the first turn, not the holeshot. One thing you do not want to happen is get involved in a turn one wreck. It will ruin your concentration for the rest of the race. My first year I tended to stay to the outside. While I would not be in the front of the pack, I was able to stay with the pack and race. While some people were left behind untangling their quads. Of course the first time I got the holeshot I was so excited that I missed the first turn!

After the start. Just get “settled in” a spot and get comfortable. Let the all that adrenaline settle down from the wait at the gate. This will allow the people that are a lot faster than you to get past and the people that are a lot slower than you to fall behind. Now you will be able to worry about passing people.

Passing. Do NOT follow the rider in front of you. If they crash, so do you. Not to mention the roost will really start to become annoying after you cannot see. Take different lines and pick your spot to pass. After a lap or so, you will know the riders weak points. With your Banshee (what I have raced on so far) the straights will be key. Another good thing to remember is plan for the next turn, not the one you are on. If you take the first turn wide, this may allow you the inside line for the next turn.

Jumps. Always take a quick look behind you before approaching the jump. Nothing is worse than you being safe and not jumping, but the guy behind you does not have a clue. 400lbs of machine will hurt when landing on you. Once you know that you do not have to worry about the other guy, just remember to stay on the throttle when you hit the face. That is how I cased the double I tried. Let off the gas and nose-dived into the second jump. If you have not practice any doubles, I would not worry about hitting them in the first race. To complete a true double, it takes a lot more skill than the same jump as a single. You will have enough to worry about in the race other than the doubles.

Overall, just have fun. Don’t try to win the race right off the bat. And remember the less bumps you hit, the more energy you will have at the end. And make sure everything is all set on your quad. I pass at least two riders during a race that have broken down.

Old 07-19-2000, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

The best tip I could give you is to practise alot, and don't ride over your head. Primarly, try to condition your body so that you could ride 100% all the way. If you can't last much, you can't learn much. When you practise you also get experience and learn new technics, which will get you in the front of the race.

Old 07-19-2000, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

OK I'll give you as much info as I can and try to add to Lasher's post(which was very good by the way).

On doubles I like to see what everybody else is doing. In practice I watch everyone who is better than me or in the same range as me and see what they are doing, ex.-how far they go, how much throttle, how easy they are making it, what kind of machine they have. Having raced several months now I am much more comfortable doing that than I was in my first few races. Basically in your first race, do what you feel comfortable doing. You've got to take chances sometimes and just go for stuff, but don't ever try something you're not comfortable with. As for tabletops make sure you hit a line of the jump that is straight so you don't go sideways in the air. On some tracks the lips are very crooked on them and you have to be very careful. Landing crooked hurts bad.

On turns, basically it takes a lot of practice and a lot of racing experience. But to sum it up for a first timer, if no one is directly behind you trying to pass, I like to usually use the berm and go wide getting more momentum into the straight. This works really well if there is a jump right out of the turn. But if someone is anywhere close behind you trying to pass, I say stay tight every time so there's no way he can squeeze you out. But most of all practice the turns and move your butt and bodyweight around!

Also give your bike a real good prep check before the race and after. I also pass at least 2 riders every race that a bolt came loose, chain came off, etc. Drink lots of water and stay away from cokes and junk food. Good luck and tell us how you did.

Old 07-19-2000, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the info guys!!!I have one question left...what to do of there is a jump i know i cant make??...i have never seen the track i will be racing at...so it will be a bit of a suprise...any other info will be appreciated!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

If there is a jump that you do not feel comfortable doing, then DO NOT attempt it.

But if you re not going to clear a jump, then make sure you look behind you. Usually the jumps are just after a corner. As you are about to exit the turn, take a quick look behind you. If you do not see anyone right behind you, then take the jump at what ever speed you choose.

But is there is some one there, three things can happen. First, the guy behind you will not attempt the jump as well. This is usually pretty easy to tell because he is not flying around the turn. Second, the guy could be hauling and is going to pass you after the turn or on the jump. Third, the guy could have his head up his butt and end up landing on you.

Usually as I am entering the turn, I take a quick look over my shoulder. If another racer is flying into the turn, I will guess that he is going for the jump. I will stay to the inside off the turn and hug the inside on the exit. This will give the guy the outside lane to pass me and have enough speed to complete the jump. If I think there will be a problem, I will raise my and in the air and slow down even more before the jump, and take another look to make sure he sees me.

This problem of not wanting to go all out on a certain jump can be solved quite easily. One the start of the race, worry less about being in front, but rather find a comfortable place to race. Especially on a new track and being your first time.

One of the tracks that we race on, had a tough double shortly after the start. This is the double that I crashed hard on once. But it used to scare the crap out of me, thinking that I would actually get a good start and have all these guys going for the double behind me. These thoughts made me come in near to last place off the start everytime. This year the double has been turned into a table top from all the crashes last year.

If you have never been to the track, get there early, and walk it. As you do, think about what you will do for each section. Then in practice laps, take it slow at first and work your speed up each lap. Basically your first lap should be standing on the pegs and not trying to jump anything. Because everything looks different when you are on the quad.

Then make sure you watch the other racers. Not just the top ones either because you will not be riding like they do. But rather watch everyone and see where they land and how fast they are going. Some times a little more speed than you might think, and the landing will be a lot smoother.

Old 07-23-2000, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

The best thing to do with a jump you are not doing is to stay off to one side or the other and go slow enough that everyone knows you are not going to jump. The most important thing is HOLD YOUR LINE. In March 2000, I had a guy in front of me that was not going to jump and I was. It was a big fast double. The track was very wide, so I was not even worried about him because he was way off to the right side. Well, I don't know what he was thinking, but going up the face of the jump, he swerved way over in front of me. I jammed my brakes to avoid him, but I was not able to slow enough to not jump, just enough that I lawn darted into the face of the landing. Several thousand dollars of medical bills, a permanently damaged left wrist, and a lot of pain later, I learned that holding your line is really important. I hate to think of what would have happened to that guy if I had not slowed down. He would probably be dead.

Old 07-24-2000, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

One word: PRACTICE

When it comes to motocross, nothing matters more than practice. The more time you spend practicing the track, the better you will know it, and after you get a really good feel for the track, you can concentrate on passing people.

After that, it just comes down to who is in the best shape, and whose machine doesn't break.