ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Raced my first race!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced my first race!!!

I sure picked a hell of a race for my first one. It was a 4 hour tag-team XC enduro race. It was brutal, but I had a blast! The track was about 6 ½ miles long with a 1 ½ mile MX track at the end.

My partner (nwcutie on the forums) and I decided that I would start the race. It was her first race too.
I was sooo nervous! I was sitting at the starting line thinking to myself “What am I doing here? I must be crazy!” I could feel my stomach knot up as I was sitting at the starting line waiting for the flag to drop.
Once the flag did drop, I was very relieved to see that I was not the last one out of the hole.
For the first lap, they had us go all the way through the MX section before getting on to the XC course. My thumb was already starting to get tired! The MX track was pretty tame except for a nasty little uphill double at the end that took out quite a few riders.
I had never ridden the XC part of the track before, so I kinda took it easy on my first lap. As it turned out, the XC part was awesome. It was a really wide track and very high speed. Lots of straight aways with long sweepers. There were a few spots that were kinda tricky, and if you chose the wrong line, you would definitely regret it.
Anyway, I finished my first lap and was pretty tired. My partner did her first lap, and came back just as tired as I was. On her second lap, my partner stalled on a steep hill and the quad rolled over on her, but she was ok, no injuries and no carnage to the quad.
I was not so lucky. On my 4th lap, I was behind some guy about 2 miles through the lap, WOT in fourth gear. The track was really dusty and choppy in that area and I couldn’t see anything. I should have slowed down, but I didn’t. The next thing I knew, I went over a drop off. The raptor nose dived and sent me flying over the bars. The raptor rolled or flipped (I closed my eyes when I hit the ground and didn’t see exactly what happened), and landed right side up, no damage. I got up and was really glad no one was around to see that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Anyway, my adrenaline was going really good after that, and I didn’t realize that I had actually messed up my shoulder pretty bad. The more I rode, the more it started to hurt. I finished my lap, but by the time I pulled into the pits, I could hardly hang on to the handlebars. Unfortunately, I couldn’t ride anymore, but my partner was quite the trooper and finished two more laps. We got 4th place in the women’s class. I had a great time and am definitely looking forward to my next race!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thats crazily AWESOME!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Royalty Rider

Sounds cool, good job on your first time out!

Old 04-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

kool good luck on your next races..

Old 04-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, glad to hear you aren't injured more, hope it heals fast, and the rap is still good

Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

GOOD JOB Raptorchick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We were bummin we couldn't make it down there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] It sounds like everyone had a great time & got LOTS of riding in!! Oh well maybe next time!! If my quad EVER gets put back together I hope to be back on the track soon to see how it goes!! Never know maybe we'll make the Richland race [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I'm not too hip on trying to see my way thru dust just because I don't enjoy the unexpected LOL but I can "buck" up & ride haha Are you going to Richland?? Well once again CONGRATS!!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dirtmomma,
That's too bad you couldn't make it. It was awesome! The 'over the bars gang' was really impressed with how many quads turned out. They were only expecting about 30 and they got over 200. Jeff Bocook said they are going to make this an annual event, possibly even bi-annual. They are also talking about having another ATV only team race this fall. If you go to that one, I would definitely suggest getting a 3 person team together. We only had 2, and realized 3 would have been much better.
Unfortunately, I won't be going to the Richland race. My husband is racing for points in the Goldstar series and we will be at Hannegan on that weekend. I wish I could go. Despite all the dust, Richland is one of my favorite places.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Yeah sounds like you definetly wanted more than 2 riders LOL I'd be lucky to probably make one lap hahha!! We were gonna take my son up to that race @ Hannegan this weekend but we have a flattrack Sat. night @ Rainier & thats his favorite track plus the blaster is all set up for that don't know how good it would do @ Hannegan w/ stock suspension but he's beent here before watching & wants to go sometime bad!! Tell your hubby GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

Lots of jumps at Hannegan I don't think stock blaster shocks would be good if he is really fast. But there were three blasters out there. They had a 13/15 class @ Hannegan not part of the series just an extra class.

We are going to be at Hannegan on the 23rd for the Gold Star series. If not then we would be at Richland for the GP race. I wish they would let Quads on the big MX track more often at Richland.

If RaptorChick is ready for another race we might go to Goldendale for a GP race on 6/6 But that's up to her. I might even let her ride the YFZ if she wanted. I don't really care for GP races. So I would just hang back in the pits.

Thanks for the GOOD LUCK! Dirtmomma
I ended up 2nd in my class

Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

CONGRATS Lokids650 on the 2nd place!! Yeah I don't think we'll be doing any serious MX w/ the stock shocks, now he wants to run mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] but I told him, I didn't think so LOL We went racing @ Rainier this weekend & had a pretty good time. I didn't race as my quad is still tore down & @ the machin shop, but both my sons did, my 5 yr old it was his 1st real flattrack, he ran peewee but was the only one so he ran in the 80-90 mod class w/ one other kid, so he ended up w/ a big ol 1st place trophy, he is VERY proud of that!! He did really good on that big track, he had the little LEM condor singing & wound up tight LOL. As for my older son he got 2nd in his heat, & on the main was in 1st & on the 2nd lap was setting up for turn 1 when the kid in 2nd slid under him & caught DJ's front tire & sent DJ flipping [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] he flew about 10' in the air before landing hard on his back, he was out for a few seconds, woke up & couldnt' breathe but finally caught his breath they checked him out & he was OK, no trip in the ambulance THANK GOD for safety gear!! Got some road rash, tweeked wrist, & a bruised ego LOL he's ready to go again this weekend!! The quad didn't take too much damage, nothin that will affect racing.

Well GOOD LUCK again for your next race!!!

Quick Reply: Raced my first race!!!