ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Raptor Race Pipe????? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Race Pipe????? Any thoughts?

Ok, here's the deal. I have a 2005 660r Raptor. It is bone stock right now. I have only ran 3 tanks of fuel through it. I raced a Honda 450 and beat it no prob. I raced a Yamaha 450 yfz and it beat me by about 4-5 lenghts, but he had his baffel out and his breather box top off.... so I am sure he wouldnt have beaten me by quite as much if I had done the same. Basically, I am wanting to purchase the best pipe for the money. I have thought of getting yamaha's GYT-R™ Performance Header and GYT-R™ Aluminum Oval Muffler w/ the optional GYT-R™ Quiet Muffler End Cap. I will not be racing it professionally, simply off track racing, and your basic trail riding. I dont mind a loud pipe, but an optional silencer cap is always a plus.

So has anyone used these products, or do you have one that you have used and are happy or not happy with. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Also, if anyone has any comments on jet kits, sprocket sets, or air filters those would always be appreciated as well. Thanks again for your help.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, and one more thing. Money is no object. Only power. So if it is has a big price tag and it runs like fire, tell me where to get it!

Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search in the yamaha forum for "raptor pipe" and you will get more information that you can possibly ever get through.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Sure a pipe may help, and I'm sure that you'll want one (everyone does).You may want to look into "Rossier Engineering" for a pipe.
But if you want to go faster, then get shocks! A steering stabilizer is a must also.
Your machine and you can go faster once your machine can handle good.
I ride with a Dr. Buddy that has a raptor. It feels like a pogo stick compared to my ZPS PEP's.
The guy on the Honda must be one lame rider IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
FYI::If racing is in your future "serious like" then you will quickly find out that the Raptor wasn't the best choice (no offence intended). The YFZ 450 or the TRX 450 is the way to go.
Have a ball dude! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: vidd
I will not be racing it professionally, simply off track racing, and your basic trail riding. I dont mind a loud pipe, but an optional silencer cap is always a plus.
Sounds like he picked the perfect quad. Racing off track is where the raptor excells, and where its potential can be realized. For less than the price of a stock yfz, you can build a raptor that will beat stock yfzs. By the time you pay for a pipe for the yfz, you can have a raptor that will beat them too.

Rossier is not the way to go imo, but if you search you will find what pipes make the best power. I will tell you now that the gytr setup is only for bone stock machines and is a low to midrange setup. You will not be making nearly as much hp with that than you can with other pipes.

All the info on sprockets, filters, etc can be found in the yammi forum.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: maddog56
Do a search in the yamaha forum for "raptor pipe" and you will get more information that you can possibly ever get through.
It depends on what type of racing your doing though. If its drag racing, desert racing or some gp's (depends on the course) the raptor is the machine but motorcross or type gp's its my yfz is the weapon of choice.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input guys! It does help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, I will mainly be doing drag racing and trail riding. You know the deal where ya go riding for fun, and some guy that thinks hes hot **** with a bored out 95' 300 ex comes along....... ( Nothing personal to anyone that has a 300 ex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] )
Anyway, I just want this bike to excel. Most of what I have read from owners, said that the raptor has awsome power... once you unleash it from the tight grasp of yamaha's stock hands!
Also, that yfz didnt beat me by much at drag racing, it was even off the line, he pulled a lenght in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th then once we picked up speed it was equal lenght, and if we would have had more road, I am sure I would have started gaining on him. I have read alot of posts where the raptor has a higher top end than the yfz...
So anyway..... I know as close as it was, I can do better..... and I will......

Thanks again for your input, if you have anymore tips, stories, links, or comments. Please reply to your liking! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

PS: I raced the trx 450 3 times, once with a novice rider, and twice with an expericed racer. I beat it both times. It does have some power though, but not enought that I would give up electric start and reverse.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Spend some time searching and reading in the yamaha forum, you will learn volumes. I have learned quite a bit in this way.

Welcome to the forums, and we hope you'll stick around. Most people that do find this to be a very helpful and enjoyable place.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

The dudes on the 450 must suck at racin' if they couldn't beat a stock Raptor. Don't get me wrong I have a Raptor and a stock setup has the power corked.
Get a DMC Alein complete racing exhaust system, rejet + K&N filter the beast. Make sure you change the pilot jets also.
That is just a start. After that work on the suspension.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx for the input guys!

Now, on to the DMC Alien Full Exhaust System..... I like what I see on the site, the specs look impressive... So how many people out there actually use this setup.
It has a nice price as well. Also, how is it as far as noice? Is it one of those pipes that is totally brain racking, or is it average? Also, out of those that have used it, what have you compaired it to, and how did it do? Thx again for your your input. I'll get it rocking soon enough with your help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

http://www.dmc-on-line.com/RAPTOR660.html

Quick Reply: Raptor Race Pipe????? Any thoughts?