ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

MX & TT, Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can sombody tell me the difference between MX and TT races? If I race MX do I have to race TT or visversa

Old 10-16-2000, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Though I don't race TT or MX, here's what I've obsereved and reasoned. TT racing is typically on a hard packed clay surface with mild jumps (very little air). Really this type of racing emphasises speed and turning ability and omits the technical aspect of jumping. Although a TT only quad would be superior, I think a lot of motocross quads compete at TT racers as well. The main difference would be the addition of stiffer short-travel TT specific shocks, a sway bar, and flat track tires (I believe hoosiers are popular?). Because there are only a few smaller jumps, TT specific racers can get away with lighter parts to save weight. Also a TT racer's motor might be tuned and geared more aggressively.

hope I helped!
Marc
http://www.geocities.com/rustyatv/

Old 10-16-2000, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

In the GNC series, if you want grand national points, you must run both MX and TT. If you only race MX, you will have a national number at the end of the season (or national points). If you race both TT and MX, you will have a Grand National number (or points).

It is best to have 2 seperate quads for MX and TT racing. TT quads are allot more advanced than they used to be. Lower suspension, shorter swingarms, McCreary tires, sway bars and Higher revving motors are the main difference between the two.

TT racing is just as technical as MX, in a different way. For instance, if your mess up in an MX race, you can usually catch back up and sometimes win. If you bobble in a TT race, or get a bad start, it is almost impossible to make up the positions. TT is VERY fast paced and doesnt allow for many errors. Bike setup plays a HUGE roll in TT racing. With MX, you basically go from track to track with the same setup. This does NOT work for TT. The quad MUST be dialed in for each track, and for that matter, different weather conditions. You will also need different tire compounds for different track surfaces. In truth, an entire book could be written on TT racing, because many riders struggle learning TT technique.