ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

YFZ450 vs. 450R question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YFZ450 vs. 450R question

I have a deposit on a YFZ (refundable) but now I'm hesitating. I sat on a 450R and love the way it feels. It's really comfortable. That's not to say I don't like the way the YFZ feels. Besides the great things I've heard about the YFZ in terms of power and handling, I like that fact that it feels smaller. The YFZ feels more like my Tecate 4 and the 450R feels more like my 250R.

Here's my question: does anyone feel one is better suited to GNCC/Woods style riding? I don't race but my idea of trail riding doesn't involve putting around and smelling the leaves. I ride fast and like jumping and zipping thru rough spots.

Now I know both quads are well suited for this kind of riding and I know some would say that the Raptor or Predator are still better suited to any kind of woods riding because of the bigger bore and extra torque. But I don't like the size of those. I'd rather ride something I can flick around...like my 2 strokes. But I'm getting to the point where I'd like a quad that combines the better of both worlds.

BTW, and should probably post this in a separate thread, anyone put flywheel weights on a YFZ with good results? I figure slowing down the revs a tad would add some torque without sacrificing its power advantage over the 450R.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am 2 tired to read what u said but keep the yfz if u get the honda u will miss the power, its not that much buts its noticeable

Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

My friend got an 04 YFZ and he loves it. It actually has a 2-stroke feel to it beacuse it revs really fast, ahh maybe its just me. I think it handles really well in the trails for a race bike. I thought it was really quick as well it beat a stock banshee in a short race.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

the honda is betta for dunes thats it, unless u mod them out like crazy then the yfz has it in every subject

Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I race cross country on my 05 YFZ and love it! I can tell you that if you are a taller rider you might consider these mods to make the quad alot more comfortable(Roll Design Race pegs 1/2 in. lower than stock and a +2 stem).I am 6'1 and these mods make it feel much more comfy on the long hauls......

Old 08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 13inc
I race cross country on my 05 YFZ and love it! I can tell you that if you are a taller rider you might consider these mods to make the quad alot more comfortable(Roll Design Race pegs 1/2 in. lower than stock and a +2 stem).I am 6'1 and these mods make it feel much more comfy on the long hauls......
Thanks for the tips. I'm 6ft. and I'm seriously considering getting one. I got the cash saved and I'm hunting for a good deal on used one.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

450r

Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

i myself own a trx450r. before i bought the honda i rode a friend of mine yzf 450 on a x-country track we race on in west tn. i found the yfz has a stiff ride. i made several laps on the track while adjusting to shocks each lap. i could not get a good ride out of the stockers. i myself felt the yfz was small and cramped. yes you can spend around $500 to make the quad comfurtable. i took a gamble and ordered 450r before they even hit the market. it did not take long for me to relise the honda has a better ride with stock equipment. btw i am right at 200lbs and 6'1. i did spend some time setting the stock shocks for my liking. there is pros and cons on both quads, you cant go wrong with either one. i my opinon if you do go with the yfz junk the shocks and buy better a-arms. the a-arms are prone to bend. i am assuming you trail ride like you are racing, if so you are aware what hitting a tree will do. now for the power differance there is not that much. i have 17 xc races and 5 mx races on my 450r, i have never been beat because of lack of hp. it is always lack of ability. here is the real question ford or chevy. my advice is try to ride both machines as much as possiable before you make your choice.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: exracer131
i myself own a trx450r. before i bought the honda i rode a friend of mine yzf 450 on a x-country track we race on in west tn. i found the yfz has a stiff ride. i made several laps on the track while adjusting to shocks each lap. i could not get a good ride out of the stockers. i myself felt the yfz was small and cramped. yes you can spend around $500 to make the quad comfurtable. i took a gamble and ordered 450r before they even hit the market. it did not take long for me to relise the honda has a better ride with stock equipment. btw i am right at 200lbs and 6'1. i did spend some time setting the stock shocks for my liking. there is pros and cons on both quads, you cant go wrong with either one. i my opinon if you do go with the yfz junk the shocks and buy better a-arms. the a-arms are prone to bend. i am assuming you trail ride like you are racing, if so you are aware what hitting a tree will do. now for the power differance there is not that much. i have 17 xc races and 5 mx races on my 450r, i have never been beat because of lack of hp. it is always lack of ability. here is the real question ford or chevy. my advice is try to ride both machines as much as possiable before you make your choice.

Thanks for your input. It's the best answer I've had. Man, I wish I could ride them both a lot but I don't know anyone that has them and the dealers aren't about to let me rip around on both for a few hours. All I have been able to do is sit on them at the dealer and read about them in magazines.

The sum of my learning is that according to magazines, both handle very well but the YFZ handles better at high speed, is more fatiguing to ride, is stiffer, has more power and quicker acceleration. The Honda has smoother power, more lowend and softer suspension. From sitting on them, the Honda feels bigger and more roomy while the YFZ feels a bit more compact but not cramped. It's like the difference between my Tecate (like YFZ) and my 250R (like 450R). I feel "in and behind" the R and "on top of" of the YFZ. Neither is uncomfortable but the Honda is a little more comfortable in general. But I do feel more CONFIDENT on the Tecate because it feels smaller. Psychological I guess. BTW, I'm 6 ft. and about 185 lbs.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

In trying to deside what quad for Big Bad Angela to race for next year, we looked back at this last GNC season.
The Honda is the winner. The Yamaha motor has proven to be less than reliable. Kory Ellis and Keith Little have had plenty of motor trouble this year.
This is a highly debatable subject. Everyone loves one or the other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
How about::
How many old yamaha's you see around?
How many old honda's you see around?
Maybe the answer is somewhere in there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
My 2 cents. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: YFZ450 vs. 450R question