ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Corners..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today after school i went out riding with a few friends on his home made woods course.

Its pretty nice. He just mainly carved a straight course through the woods..it doesn't loop, he said one day it will

anyways.

I'm having a tought time on corners.

I always end up hanging on for dear life mostly on 2 wheels.

I've tried nailing the back brakes shifting at the same time, then nailing it awhile trying to shove the back end around.

Seems to work, but i end up revving the heck out of my quad though.

Any suggestions..? maybe i wouldn't have to downshift if I had a stronger engine...

I know now after market shocks are a must! I have my fronts the stiffest, and they still aren't doing good.

I still can't get my back to increase, its on the 2nd notch, and its doing nicely, could go up to the 3rd or 4th and i would be plenty happy..

I was doing good though, 250R(it toasted all of us, really done up), 400ex(stock), 250x(stock), Warrior(piped) and 2 300ex, one stock and mine with the viper rear tires...

I could hang with the 400ex till the corners, the 250R was just gone.

It was mainly between me and the other 300ex. Then the Warrior and 250x.

I wasn't impressed with the warrior. Seemed heavy and akward. Could of been the rider?

Old 10-23-2000, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

(Obviously) The best way to keep your quad more stable in the corners is a wider axle and a-arms. But, for now, try leaning over real hard when cornering. To keep from down-shifting, try feathering the clutch. This will help keep the RPM's up.

Old 10-23-2000, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Try setting your front shocks at about the middle knotch. They might not be giving enough to let the quad set down alittle. It would not hurt to try, because if it is a CC course there are not many big jumps to bottom out your shocks on. Also try playing with your front brakes a littel in the turn. Come into the corner, down shift start turning while feathering the front brakes a be on the gas while in the corner. you will just have to play with it adn what happens, but the most important thing si to keep practicing. Oh yea, get way over on the side of it when your in the corner. Hope I helped Later

Old 10-24-2000, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty much these guys have it down.

While racing an oval homemade track one day with some friends and me practicing, what I did was..

Wrapped out in 4th gear come into the corner, apply back brakes slightly, downshift, lean hard, gun it and come out, then immediatly upshift into fourth.

Sometimes after gettin my huevos up I would go into the corner in 4th and just lean as hard as I could.

Scenario
Riding fast and hard, pass 300ex, wave to him, pass warrior (maybe) wave to him as well.

Coming up to corner, right when you get into the first part of the corner hit the back brakes and downshift at the same time and lean into the corner, your butt will be off the seat leaning onto the quad, when I say lean I mean lean!

Once you downshift let off brakes and gun it around the corner, once coming out of the corner upshift and hall booty, and get back on seat and FLY!

The best way I learned and taught myself was watching movies on quad racing and riding, study the way they move.

I have watched Huevos II over and over rewinding and studing how they ride, also I bought QuadSquad and watched all the racing in it as well, seeing how they race and what they do when jumping, cornering, overtaking.

Just my 2 cents

Old 10-24-2000, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

hey banshee 16 wazzup? did you get a 250r? I saw ya at field of dreams and I reconized your banshee but I saw ya'll had a 250r on there too.....anyways how did you do? I ended winnnin in my class.. anyways later

Old 10-24-2000, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tips.

I will try them out as soon as it stops raining!

Old 10-24-2000, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, Im on and R now, it is so much better than the Banshee, Corning, Jumping, just about everthing but top end speed! I got 2nd. In the first moto me and another guy got hung up in about the 3rd or 4th corner. He had spun out, I was right behind him. I hit his a arm adn spun him back around to the right way and me around backwards. I came out of the deal in last!!! I worked my way up to 4th and in the 2nd moto I got 1st. But the guy that got 1st in the 1st moto got 2nd in the 2nd moto, thus causing him to get and overall of 1st. Pretty complicated huh. Oh well good look on the next race. You have been riding pretty good.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Banshee has a lot more power then your blaster(obviously) but I used to ride one before I got this. And I couldn't keep it on the ground for nothing. I went up on two wheels one day and clipped a tree. The quad kept goin but I was stuck back on the tree. Only thing I would do is lean really hard and use a lot of clutch.

Come into the turn hard lean, then hit ur brakes so the back will slide a little....at the same time pull in your clutch a little and rev up ur engine then let it loose. It should swing right around. Make sure to stay on the throttle though.

Old 10-28-2000, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Another good thing to remember, is the more throttle and the further you sit back (on the side) of the seat, the easyer it will "slide". Sit pretty far back on the seat and off to the same side you are turning. Kind of push on the side of the seat with your butt to get it slidding, then its just throttle controle. Once you learn how, its easy as all hell. I use to ride a 300ex and it slide awesome. Now i ride a ds650

Old 10-29-2000, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Blasters are very tricky when it comes to corners. You either have to feather the clutch through the turn, slow down and take the turn slow, or hang on for dear life while on 2 wheels.

Quick Reply: Corners..