ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Building Race Track - Need Yor Help & Lots Of Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Race Track - Need Yor Help & Lots Of Info

For awhile now we've been buyin & sellin off road bikes & our little shop has been good to us, as have our customers. My partners & I love racing, doesn't matter if it's on a dirt bike or atv. Could be that the smell of 2 stroke exhaust is addicting, but it's what get's us up in the morning, that and the fact that we've always wanted to build our own track. It's now a dream that's finally become a reality, and we start construction in October/November. We have the equipment & just got the land.

We would really appreciate it if you would all let us know what you would like to see there. As an example; should we change the track for each race so the locals don't have the advantage & dominate the track. From those of you who race, we would to like to know what your ideas are. We would like to know the good & bad, what you'd like to see us try or what we definately shouldn't do. Why you don't like some tracks & why you do like the others. My partners & I know what we want, but if nobody else does, then we'll be the only ones there. Which would be very boring cause I need the competition.

We would also like opinions from everyone who just loves to watch the races. What would make the whole thing worth being there. An example would be for us to build a small track for the little ones just learning to ride so the whole family can enjoy the weekend. Any suggestion, no matter how small will help.

Thank you & take care.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

just let me say thanks for supporting the sport. from my dealing with mx tracks, try to keep every level of rider in mind. there are some tracks that i have been to that the table tops throw you up insted of out. some of the guys that don't want to hit the jump wide open to clear the end come up short and have very hard landings. for ex. loretta lynns, most of the jumps there is you don't double them you have better roll them because you will have a rough landing if you just lob off the jumps. don't space the double so far apart for the slower riders. space them so than can be doubled fairly easy for beginner rider and have them set up so the fast guy can make a single, triple or vice-versa. big berms are always a favroite. i do think it would be a good idea for a seperate kids track, when i say kids i refur to 50cc to 70cc bikes and quads. i hope my suggestions help...

Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A whoop section with 2 lines that have staggering whoops. They did that at the ESPN Great Outdoors Games. Twas cool.
I like doubles with a safe,long, sloped landing. That way the novice don't have to worry about being spot on or take an ambulance ride.
Tabletops are cool and safe.
The other poster is correct (Lorretta Lynn GNC MX). Go there. Study their design. Make sure you build NOTHING LIKE IT!!!!!! It's the worst track on the circiut and absolutely the most dangerous!! They need a fleet of ambulances and a squadron of hellicopters.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
For a local, a lap time of 45 second to 1 minute.
I wish you the best of luck! Let us know of the progress.
Maybe get ahold of Shane Hitt in Buchannon WV. (national atv pro) I'm sure that he can give good advice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, guys for the input, we appreciate it. We're definately gonna have to import more dirt.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I like a track with at least a 2-minute lap time. Uphills are always fun, because they make you feel like you are skying. You need to mix it up. Don't make anything too techinical, because it is an outdoor mx track. But at least ONE rythm section is a good idea.

Tabletops are good, for everyone's sake. But don't forget about the riders who like large gaps at high speeds. Make sure to mix it up. A good flow is needed, with sweeping and tight corners, 4th and 5th gear straights, but you still want some jumps right out of corners and really tall berms. The sky's the limit! How much land do you have? And what are you using? A bobcat? Dozer? Shovels?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

4th & 5th gear straights are a definate must, as well as table tops. It's the spacing on the jumps that is going to be stumping us, we all have different opinions. I think your guys help will solve the problems. We have almost 200 acres & I have all the equipment( Skid steer, backhoe, dozer, excavator, roller & lost of shovels).

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

yeah make it have something for everybody, you can also take a level flat stretch of dirt and make a drag strip or if there is a hill somewhere on the property make a hsteep hill for climbs, something ive always wanted to see at tracks is like a terrain park type thingy. with more technical terrain like big off camber lumps of dirt and stuff, im really not sure how to explain it but its like a warm up/ technical area where theres like rocks and bolders and stuff and all that, just an idea and a little place for youngsters to screw around in would be pretty wicked, i wish i lived out by you, i would love to come ride it and i would help too,

Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Treat the neighbors well
they are the ones that can really spoil a good time

Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the drag strip idea. We found a perfect spot, & I have access to a grader I can use. We also came up with plans for a mud bog. I like the warm-up/obsticle course idea. How big an area, in acres do you think would be appropriate? According to the topo map there should be a large high wall from an old strip mine twards the back of the property. We haven't got back that far, but hope it will make a great hill climb. And a place for the little ones to ride is still a must for us.

Thanks again for the input, we appreciate it.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Our nearest neighbors are about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away & we're way out of city limits. But the sound of a wound out 2 stroke can travel really far. I have a feeling we may have to treat our nearest neighbors really well. Any ideas on keeping the neighbors at bay?

Thanks for the input & take care.

Quick Reply: Building Race Track - Need Yor Help & Lots Of Info