ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

a 250r

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 250r

Hey, I was wondering which 250r is the best, because i want one lol. Is the suzuki? honda? i want the one that hasthe most reliability. also, i was going to get one off of ebay, anything i should look out for? When i get it im going to have my speed shop rebuild the engine, Anything i should know?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

There are lots of opinions on that subject.

Technically the most common 250's are the Honda 250R, Suzuki LT250R, and the Kawasaki Tecate. There are also some unusal variants like the Tiger 250.

Personally, I feel that the Honda is the best. Stock for stock, it isn't much better than the LT, but there are many more parts for the Honda available (and a large following of dedicated builders) than the Suzuki or Kawasaki combined. All can be made to run well, right now there just seems to be more out there for Honda riders.

They are like anything else, look at the overall quality of workmanship and upkeep on the machine. My personal 250R's are now 20-21 years old and in better condition than many 2005 models. I would only buy off eBay if you are able to go inspect the machine, lots can happen, especially when the newest 250R is 14 years old (LT's ceased production in 1992).

Good luck, 250R's can be much more demanding to keep running than a newer machine, but offer excellent rewards in both appearance, diversity and performance.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

Thank you very muchh.. Is there anything i should like watch out for? Also, what is a good price to pay for a 250r that has like minor suspension and motor mods?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

And also, I dont know anything about its performance data stock, i dont want this to be a vs. thread but what would a stock 250r be raced against for a good race if both riders were equal? I was thinking z400.. Im just asking how fast it should go and what it would be comparable against.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

On a Honda 250R, I would look for the usual items: frame cracks, poor workmanship, etc. Also, listen to it run... If the bottom end hasn't been rebuilt, I would bet that the seals are very hard and the bearings are in poor shape -- mine were from basically not being ridden.

Also keep in mind that every year 250R is different. The same basic machine is there, but there are hundreds of differences over the four-year model run. MX and woods, look for an 88; dunes and drags, I prefer the 86.

I would think that in today's market 3,500 to 4,000 would get a nice 250R. Years ago, mine was pretty rough and was a bargain at $3,000. Today, after the four-stroke revolution, my resto-mod 86 is only worth about $3,600.

A Z400 is good competition for a stocker. You will be very comfortable with anything up to a Raptor or DS650. A 250R can run close to just about anything: stock for stock. I have even outran many Banshee's on the stockers, traction being the deciding factor.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

thanks a lot i appreciate it, How can i tell if it needs to be rebuilt? I Have only ridden 2 .2 strokes that are my friends, a yz125 and yz250 and i dont know much about them. Is this thing a good bet for me?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

The only true way to determine if it's rebuild time is to do a leakdown test and compression test.

There are many things to go wrong on an ATV that is nearing (or over) 20 years old.

I had only Blaster experience (at 15 years old) before buying my 250R. Since that time, I have basically learned to do everything on it. With a good OEM service manual (not Clymer or Hanes) and good tools, there is really nothing that complicated on a 250R.

I would look at several in your area before you buy one. The 250R to me is one of the most comfortable machines. I prefer it's control, stability and powerband over all others. That's enough for me, but may not be for you. Now, they offer outstanding performance for the investment...

Also, keep in mind they have no creature comforts... Mine didn't even have lights when I got it.

I would check out some of the other sites out there, there's lots of 250R info. at www.macdizzy.com and www.planetsand.com.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

So if i bought one do you think it would probobly last me? or would it break every hour of riding?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

I want complete specifications on this machine.. Any idea where i can find those????

Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default a 250r

With machines this old, reliability is specific to each machine.

Mine broke what seemed like every time out for about two months... By that time, I had replaced everything weak or broken. And then broke the skirt off the piston and trashed a crank seal...

They will last, but nothing old is guaranteed. All will break... even 2006's break parts. Overall, once some issues are addressed (age and wear) they are very reliable machines. I have gone to Little Sahara several times this past year with mine and have never even removed the spark plug or adjusted the clutch while at the dunes. It's all about working out the bugs and keeping up on the maintenance and tuning...

I'm not sure what specifications you're looking for: dimensions, horsepower, etc. My service manual has all the dimensions and capacities, but you'll just have to do an internet search.

250R's are good machines, but they can be lots of work. If it was easy to have one, there would be no one buying 450R's, YFZ's or Raptor's. My personal feeling is that anyone can go fast on a new machine with a warranty. Look at lots of the 15-16 year olds riding now: little mechanical ability/know how and lots of payments...

If you have any doubts about your mechanical ability or question the machine, I'd consider a newer four stroke. Most are dead-nuts reliable and pretty fun to play on.

I'll keep my 250R's...

Quick Reply: a 250r