ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Do you need to remove your headlights to race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to remove your headlights to race?

I'm thinking about racing my 400ex that has the old style lights (2004) and I am not sure what I need to do to race in an AMA sanctioned event. The type of racing I'm planning to do is hare scrambles type of stuff. What else to these events require beyond stock equipment?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

i race in mid south hare scrambles. u dont have to remove your head lights but may be a good idea, u also have to have a tether kill switch, other than that u should be ready.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks man. So are aftermarket nerf bars also a requirement or can I get away with the stock plastic heel guards?

Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

you dont have to, i personally think that they get in the way in woods racing, because they get full of mud and if you hit a tree with them they bend and rub the tire. im using the stock ones right now. What hare scramble series are u thinking about racing?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If not removed, lights need to be covered w/duct tape.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Cool, I can deal with duct tape if I have to, that's alot better a solution than removing the lights and changing the hood.
So it sounds like all I really need to do in order to race is install a tether switch and wear the appropriate gear. That's awesome because around here you basically have to enter into a race event just ride your quad. I used to race a 125 in the C class, and got out of it because of the limited use of my machine. woodsracertofast, I'm not planning on following any particular series, but I think hare scrambles is the type of racing I'd enjoy the most. There used to be a race in south jersey that was part of a series but I do't remember the name of it.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

TwinCam95,
Here is a picture of my quad at one of our local Hare Scrambles races. It is the one getting the holeshot, with its headlights on. The sanctioning club ran all of the mini's first, then the 125's, 250's, open class bikes, over thirty class, over 40 class, etc, in the novice ranks. Then they repeated that for the amature class, then repeated it again in the expert class. Quads were the very last class to go, and you can see from the picture that the sun had already gone down, and it was getting dark as we left the starting line (It is not overcast in the picture, it is just twilight). And we had to do one hour plus one lap to finish our race, so it was pitch black for the last half of our race. Good thing I had headlights, LOL.

Picture

Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I race mid south hare scrambles too. it is a good series to consider racing in.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

Well where i race at (pennsylvania) nirf bars are required and lights must be removed or covered

Old 02-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I race in the d11 southern ohio races. your alowed to race with heel guards and you dont have to cover youre lights but people do anyway just for the looks.

Quick Reply: Do you need to remove your headlights to race?