ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

The elusive wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although not exactly direct related to racing, The wheelie is probably one of the funnest things to do on quads, and can help you out while riding (to log hop,ect.) Anyone got good tips on pulling wheelies? It is a fairly basic operation for MOST, but I for some reason have incredible problems pulling them off, I dont have a problem holding them, Only getting the front end to come up for me (I ride a banshee, and find that I cannot get enough traction to make the front end come up) anyone got any tips or tricks other than "Just gun it man.." ??

Old 02-28-2001, 08:12 AM
Range Rover

You need to get your weight over the rear wheels. The Banshee has a big enough set of ***** to get the front tires in the air, just give it the traction. The only other alternative is to sell the two-stroke and buy a four-stroke.
Wheelies on my 400ex are involuntary, I just get on the gas in the first three gears and the front tires will rise.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

My brother has a highly mod banshee, and i find you can pull a wheelie in either of the first three gears. However, i believe second is the easiest. I like to be moving before i start to pull a wheelie. Some people like to be at a dead stop and just dump the clutch. WHile this does work i don't like it because dumping the clutch causes premature wear of the plates. I would try the banshee in second gear. Be rolling around, blipping the throttle. When it is just starting to get into the power band and revving out a little, that's when you get ready. I push down on the handlebars to compress the front end, then quickly shift my weight rearward and compress the rear shock. Just as i'm beginning to shift my weight, the bike should still be in the powerband and i hit it. NOt too hard, because you can just spin out, but kind of roll onto the throttle. The decompression of the front shocks, plus the weight shiftage and throttle brings it up every time. When my friend had his stock two thousand banshee i did the same thing the first time i rode it, and ran from second to fourth gear in the air. Once you get the tires up, then it's just a matter of finding the right amount of throttle, and finding the balance point of your quad. You can either sit down, or half stand up. It's easier to sit and balance than to stand, but i like to stand because it usually makes for higher speed wheelies. Dirtwheels also did an article on how to wheelie. I think it was the November edition, and they included a banshee. Hope i was a little helpful.
....freddie

Old 02-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

first find the balancing spot, as you give the thorttle give a jerk too the handel bars and balance with the brake dont hit it to hard or the front end will pop down.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Even with my butt hangin off the back of the bike I still cannot get enough traction, I think the suspension is set a little to stiff for my weight, causeing me to not get the full weight transfer to the back. Only thing is that even on a 4 stroke I have difficulty pulling wheelies... I have tried the front end bounce, Didnt work.. I have good balance, and once I get the front end up I can wheelie for easily 50ft Its just the lack of traction at the rear wheels.. Its not the tires because they are the best ones I have found for traction. Does foot placement on the peg make much of a difference? Would standing on my toes put more weight on the back of the bike? What about pre-loading the rear suspension (with the back brake? ) so that it kicks into the ground upon release/acceleration?

Old 03-04-2001, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

get in the street and do it

Old 03-05-2001, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Maybe u need new tires. I had the same problem on my blaster and then i got some holeshots and its just a blip of the throttle and they are in the air. I just cant keep them there very long, i need to learn how to shift why i am doing a wheelie.

1995 yamaha blaster, paul turner pipe and silencer, K&N filter, rear holeshots, full graydon skid plate, oil injection block off.

Old 03-05-2001, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

Tires are brand new, lots of traction until i try to hop the front end... Pulling them on pavement is easy, but i do not ride on paved roads very often..

Old 03-05-2001, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

You will find that with the banshee (stock gearing)...It is very easy to lift the front end.
you should not have to slip/pop the clutch at all.

It is deceiving...Pull up the front before it hits the massive power band. Shifting in the air is what gets tricky on a banshee because of the light switch power band. My 400 ex can be shifted all day long...there seems to be no kick when the next gear is found. But the banshee takes off all over again in each gear and just keeps going. Making for an up and down like wheelie. (if that makes any sense)
I can put the front end up in second...then right before It runs out of power and drops....shift and it comes right back up.